Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-ASP set-up problems
 darabase changes not taking affect on front end.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Promyntheus
Starting Member

USA
49 Posts

Posted - September 07 2007 :  16:58:47  Show Profile  Visit Promyntheus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wondering if I missed reading something or doing something some where incorrectly...

I have made numerous changes to my database... but none of those changes have taken affect on the front end of the store... like...

1)no credit cards
2)drop box should display paypal, postal money order (not default vpasp items)
3)user can make their own password (instead of their last name... not working...

I find it quicker to just make the changes in the database than in the admin web browser...

I have the boxes check if the answer is yes/no.

I have cleared out my cache files in web browser, including all cookies... no luck... not sure what is preventing the site displaying the changes I made...

I have gotten the colors of the site the way I want them...
Except for the text in the main window for:

"welcome to my online store"
"about us"
"product catergories" etc...

it must be a global change I missed, but cant find where it is... need it to be #CC0000 instead of the blue that is default.

Also... the copyright at the bottom for the languages table is not taking affect either... made the changes in the database but no change on the front end of the store.

Any help would be appreciated...

Dont wanna start loading up inventory until I hammer out these small issues...

Thanks,
Lloyd

Doug Page
VP-CART New User

Canada
85 Posts

Posted - September 07 2007 :  19:31:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lloyd,

Near the top of the configuration page in the Admin area you will see a sentence that says "Reload Shop Configuration", This is a link and will reload all of the settings at the server so that your changes will be available. VPASP loads them once and stores them in memory. So without doing this, then you will still be shown your old settings.
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - September 07 2007 :  19:49:33  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yep; language settings work in a similar way; if you change a language value in the database then you need to go to languages in admin and then reset language for your changes to take effect.

language values used by the cart are different to normal config settings in that they're application/server variables (not straight-forward sessions or directly derived values), so you need to force the server to reload them after you've changed them in the database via the languages>reset option.

for normal config settings, as per doug's posting, if your changes don't take effect automatically then do what doug says; click on the reload configuration option. I wouldn't advise changing config settings or language values in the raw database though; much safer to change them via the admin interface; you can search for config settings if you go into site-setup and then type in, say, "%email%" and search you'll get all the config settings that have the keyword "email" in them; that's how I change most config settings as it's easier to find them that way rather than trawling through the config sub menus.

Depending on what version you're on, usually if changing config options via admin they'll automatically take effect without you having to press the reload link (auto-reload itself is a config option; if that's switched on and you change the settings via admin then you'll never need to manually reload), but languages still need explicit resetting after changing for the changes to take effect

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on September 07 2007 19:56:31
Go to Top of Page

Promyntheus
Starting Member

USA
49 Posts

Posted - September 08 2007 :  05:55:00  Show Profile  Visit Promyntheus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Doug,
Thanks, that is what I needed. Updated all the changes I made to the database itself including the copyright notice under languages (running 6.5) just bought the cart 2 days ago.

Devshb,
Thanks for the tips on using the web interface over the database. Will look into using that more... old habits die hard... use to using excel, so the database seemed easier and more familiar to me to modify than the web interface which I am new to.

I ran through a trial order and it all worked even to the paypal page.

VERY Pleased!

I have 2 more sites I own that I will be adding the cart to, can't wait!

Time to start loading up the inventory! So I can have this first site live this weekend! YAY!

Regards,
Lloyd

Edited by - Promyntheus on September 08 2007 05:55:55
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00