Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 start
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

anna12bjork
Starting Member

Iceland
6 Posts

Posted - September 04 2006 :  09:21:54  Show Profile  Visit anna12bjork's Homepage  Reply with Quote
probably many question here...

I got VP-ASP shopping project on my table and I have browsed through appl. trying to find out how I will build our shop.

No problem to add basic information while I can not find neither get access to "look and feel" such as shop.css neither how to change logo or colours. Where in admin can I find/create/change this? Or shall these documents be changed in other applications such as dream weaver?

I have tried to read user manual and found out how to do it - while I can not find where in admin you change this issues.

elammers
VP-CART Super User

USA
256 Posts

Posted - September 04 2006 :  09:38:05  Show Profile  Visit elammers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Overall "look and feel" can be done by editing just 3 files:

shoppage_header.htm
shoppage_trailer.htm
stylesheets/shop.css

The site is primarily built using tables with nested tables. The shoppage_header.htm file builds the top and left column (if you chose to have a left col). Then it sets up beginning of portion of table row/cell for the body.

Then the shoppage_trailer.htm picks up the other side. It adds the right column (if you chose to have a right col) and wraps up the bottom.

The body of the site drops into that cell between the header and footer file. And the various pages use nested tables in that body cell to do layout.

Then use your shop.css for the overall background, navigation button fonts and graphics, and various other stuff.
Go to Top of Page

anna12bjork
Starting Member

Iceland
6 Posts

Posted - September 04 2006 :  09:58:27  Show Profile  Visit anna12bjork's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks, may be I was a bit unclear. I had already found out this from user guide... that's not the problem. My problem is to find them. is it possible to reach these files when you are logged in at admin?
Go to Top of Page

elammers
VP-CART Super User

USA
256 Posts

Posted - September 04 2006 :  10:03:24  Show Profile  Visit elammers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is my understanding that these files have to be edited from your desktop. Can't be edited from admin console that I've seen.
Go to Top of Page

anna12bjork
Starting Member

Iceland
6 Posts

Posted - September 04 2006 :  10:07:26  Show Profile  Visit anna12bjork's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ok. thanks then I know how to do it :)
Go to Top of Page

anna12bjork
Starting Member

Iceland
6 Posts

Posted - September 06 2006 :  06:54:38  Show Profile  Visit anna12bjork's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After been looking into admin again - isn't it possible to change the logo by adding a new content and save it as "shoppage_header.htm"
Go to Top of Page

elammers
VP-CART Super User

USA
256 Posts

Posted - September 06 2006 :  11:00:56  Show Profile  Visit elammers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The content section you are referring too is displayed on screen by the file shopcontent.asp. So anything you create as "content" from the Admin Console will always lie between the header and footer.

So if you created a content page and named it shoppage_header.htm, then the only way to get that to display on your site is by referencing it like so www.yoursite.com/shopcontent.asp?type=shoppage_header.htm.

No clue if naming that content page with the "HTM" extension will screw anything up or not.

Regards,

Eric in Maine
Go to Top of Page

robarsalon
Starting Member

USA
21 Posts

Posted - September 06 2006 :  16:19:50  Show Profile  Visit robarsalon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have anyone tried to redesign layout using CSS <div> tags instead of tables?
Am going to attempt to, sounds like a whole LOT of work tho.
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - September 06 2006 :  16:54:06  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
something that you might find useful is our content-management enhancements addon:

http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=125

for example, with that you could create a content-record for something like "header tabs", and then you could call/show that content-record inside your shoppage_header.htm file

having said that, most merchants would rarely change their header/trailer logic, because things like the category-lists would be dynamic anyway. but, if you do want to store some core bits of the header/trailer html in the contents table and then call that from within your header/trailer files, then our addon would definitely let you do that.

(my personal favorite bit of that addon is the "create-content-file" link, which lets you create separate nicely named pages for your content records at the push of a button)

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)