Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 where to place store files
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rustytec
VP-CART New User

Australia
113 Posts

Posted - September 07 2005 :  22:15:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I am seeking some advice please:

I have been putting my first store together for a while now and am not sure where the 'correct' or 'best' place for the asp files to go. My site is built with the asp files and default.asp is my homepage.

I have placed all my images in an images folder, my css is in a style folder, database is in '_database' folder outside the inetpub\wwwroot\store folder. (As it will be on the web site when uploaded.)

The rest (*.asp etc) is in the root web folder.

Can anyone suggest the best practise for me please.

thanks in advance

rustytec

Russ
Developer

dcwebman
VP-CART New User

USA
127 Posts

Posted - September 08 2005 :  08:51:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know about the best practice, but my first site I did sounds like what you have. For my following sites I didn't like all the shopping cart in the root so moved all appropriate files/folders to a /shopping folder. The root then pretty much is empty except for the default.asp, global.asa, and a few other files. That also makes it easy if I want to add a forum folder, guestbook folder, etc.

I hope the next version is a little different though. For example, I think there are just too many files in the main folder as it takes a long time to load the list in whatever program you use to view/edit or FTP the files. Things like moving all images to an images folder could be changed now but you'd have to make sure you catch every reference. Maybe the next version will take all that into account.

Jeff

Go to Top of Page

rustytec
VP-CART New User

Australia
113 Posts

Posted - September 08 2005 :  09:07:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey thanks for that dcwebman, I appreciate your reply..

I might tidy it up a bit now before I stage the upload to the webhost.

So in planning a change, it sounds like I need "default.asp, global.asa" in the root folder and the rest can go into /shopping folder, apart from 'trial and error' should that be it.

thanks again

Russ

rustytec

Russ
Developer
Go to Top of Page

vspshopman
Starting Member

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - August 25 2006 :  14:29:05  Show Profile  Visit vspshopman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi dcwebman

I am new to vpasp, and would like to keep my vpasp 6.09 store in \shopping\ folder and move the default.asp and .asa file to my website root as you have. Can you give us a little more detail as to how you moved to default.asp to the root. I have changed the references in default.asp but not anywhere else.

I would be realy handy to know how many files you changes and how your changed them to get it to work.

Many thanks

Lyndon

www.2buy1click.com
www.sexylingerie-from-legavenue.com
www.1stop-party-supplies.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - August 26 2006 :  03:59:25  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you might find this addon useful:

we spent ages working out how to be able to access/use vpasp from other directories (especially for access database connections), so we put it all into a little addon with example files in sub/parent/parallel diretories.

see our "multiple directory addon for vpasp":
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=53

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: