Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Problems with DB not updating
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jmccann
VP-CART New User

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - August 18 2006 :  04:45:01  Show Profile  Visit jmccann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Im just building a site using MSSQL 2005 as tehback end and I'm having major problems getting some updates to woek.

For example, I cant sign up as a new customer on the front end. The form takes all the input but doesnt update database.
I have noticed lots of problems with Admin. I cant change any of the language settings, content won't change. The forms accept all of the input dont update DB and dont return any errors. Also the data import wont load.
But, some things do update... I can change configuration settings, change users and thats about it.

Its very strangee, that some admin functions work but not others.

Has anyone else had any similar problems?

regards,

jim mccann

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - August 18 2006 :  06:39:01  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yep; had those problems all over the place on sql2005. sqlserver has a restriction on the size of the recordset, but it hides the error and blanks out variables instead. sql2000 I think has a similar restriction but at least it seems to show an error rather than just blanking out all your values which means that you can then readjust your tables to avoid the error.

this mostly effects products queries as it's the largest table.

having said all that, it might just be that the database doesn't have write permissions; try running the diag files.

i run a mile from sql2005 if possible; it seems to be full of bugs/problems; sql2000 seems to be much more reliable.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on August 18 2006 06:41:07
Go to Top of Page

rvaga
VP-CART Super User

USA
254 Posts

Posted - August 18 2006 :  21:25:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But, it's now almost 2007, and anything called "2000" is going to sound dated. So, a new user of VPASP, in starting out, might well opt for SQL2005 because it sounds so new, compared to 2000. Also possible that as the price of SQL2005 decreases for hosts, more ISPs will offer it.

Seems that if the SQL2005 issues cannot be resolved for VPASP, it would probably be a good idea to mention that for anyone purchasing the product. For awhile (couple of years?), that would work, but still in time, SQL2000 will be considered "old" in computerland, as bugs are fixed and developers learn how better to program for the idiosyncrasies. I wonder if there are complaints in regards to 2005 from the .net world?
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - August 19 2006 :  04:20:59  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well, put it this way; when microsoft release "vista" I won't be upgrading from xp for at least a year or 2 because I know it'll be full of bugs and security holes!

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - August 19 2006 :  22:14:34  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have worked through many of the idiosyncrasies in SQL 2005 now but there are still ones that pop up as a result of some hosting configurations as Simon mentioned.

These will diminish in time as hosts learn more about how to configure SQL 2005 and likewise our knowledge base of known issues will increase as well.

The same thing happens whenever a new system is released unfortunately. It just takes a bit of time for people to get a good understanding of how the new system works.

Thanks,
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

jmccann
VP-CART New User

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - August 23 2006 :  09:28:39  Show Profile  Visit jmccann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've ditched the Hosting company and moved to MySQL with another host, and now I'm having similar problems trying to update tables.

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Invalid string or buffer length

/shopa_editmycompany.asp, line 212

/shopa_addproduct.asp, line 2160

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

/shopa_addcategory.asp, line 158

FYI we can update the Configuration entries.

I hope to god I dont have to stick with Access!!
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - August 23 2006 :  15:57:36  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Please see the following help note on this error.
http://www.vpasp.com/helpnotes/shoptocdetail.asp?id=590#834

Could you please try the fix as listed and let us know if this resolves your issue.

Thank you

Regards,
Michael
VPASP SUPPORT
Go to Top of Page

jmccann
VP-CART New User

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - August 25 2006 :  15:43:44  Show Profile  Visit jmccann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My SQL is installed and working a treat!!.

site is www.paper-cuts.co.uk. Its still not live yet but not far off.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00