Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 ASP.NET compatibility
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

IfOnly
VP-CART New User

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - February 02 2004 :  09:27:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our hosting company is about to transfer us an ASP.NET, Windows 2003 server; just about as we are to buy our first VP.ASP cart. Could anyone please advise whether the cart if fully compatible with this, or if not what the problems are?

Regards
Phil

jonmadrid
VP-CART New User

USA
192 Posts

Posted - February 02 2004 :  09:32:41  Show Profile  Visit jonmadrid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Phil,

VP-ASP is not written in .NET and thus does not use .NET. Chances are though that this new server you are moving to will also support 'Classic' ASP which is what the VP-ASP cart uses. Since the VP-ASP is in 'Classic' ASP, it won't even use any of the .NET features. So, being on a .NET server will really not do anything for you in terms of the cart.

Does that answer your question?

All the best,

Jon Madrid
--------------------
Madrid Communications
Web Design, Development, and Hosting
www.madridcom.com
Go to Top of Page

IfOnly
VP-CART New User

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - February 02 2004 :  11:00:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jon

I have heard some publicity about classic asp files not working or being incompatible with ASP.NET. Although this was about a year ago when ASP.net was first introduced, I could not afford to buy the cart if it is going to malfunction anywhere becuse of the server software.
I really want to use VP-ASP but am conscious that Storefront is written in .net and is claimed to be more compatible.
Any more info on VP-ASP's compatability please.

Regards
Phil

Go to Top of Page

jonmadrid
VP-CART New User

USA
192 Posts

Posted - February 02 2004 :  11:41:18  Show Profile  Visit jonmadrid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Phil,

My guess is that the compatabilty issues between classic ASP and .NET that you are reffering to are related to the two types interacting with eachother--which won't happen with VP-ASP by itself since it is ALL written in classic ASP. That being the case, .NET is a moot point because the cart doesn't use it, try to use it, or even care if it's there. Whether it's there or not doesnt matter, so long as you have classic ASP.

One of the principal issues at hand with interoperability between classic ASP and ASP.NET is that of session and application variables: The classic ASP and .NET handle and store session values in entirely different manners.

So, lets say you create a session variable using classic ASP and then try to access it using .NET (say VB.net for example), you won't be able to. There are ways to bridge that but there are no direct methods for easy access one way or there other.

As I mentioned above though, unless you intend to have .NET files interfacing with the shopping cart files -- which, unless you have some unique customizations, you shouldn't need to do because the cart is a stand-alone application that doesn't need anything else -- you have nothing to worry about. The fact that you're on a .NET server reallys means nothing when it comes to the cart. It's when you want to mix classic ASP and ASP.NET that things get hairy. Use the cart as a stand alone app and you should be in great shape; .NET server or not.

All the best,

Jon Madrid
--------------------
Madrid Communications
Web Design, Development, and Hosting
www.madridcom.com
Go to Top of Page

IfOnly
VP-CART New User

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - February 02 2004 :  12:58:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brilliant Jon.

Thanks very much for your time and trouble and clear explaination.

Regards
Phil

Go to Top of Page

siraj
VP-CART New User

USA
194 Posts

Posted - February 02 2004 :  14:30:05  Show Profile  Visit siraj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I completely agree with Jon and its good that your are going to .net hosting server even though VP-ASP is not .net. The reason is, even VP-ASP is on classic asp, there are argument VP-ASP may migrate to .net platform in future.. We never know.. You can find some post about that in the forum. If and Only if, VP-ASP move to .net then you are winner of chossing right hosting solution.
I had a senario, I mixed classic asp and .net files becuase I need bond two systems, one is asp and other one .net and still I am alive!!
There are couple of points you may consider about Store Front 6.0
1. Price
2. Support... How long? and how good?
3. Are you capable of changing the code in any cases.. In classic asp you just use raw text edittors and change the way you want but in .net you may need VS.net.....
I know StoreFront big argument is do you wanna buy a cart who is not based on US..but the guys at VP-ASP are faster than any support I had in my consultancy!!!
GOOD LUCK.
SJ.

Edited by - siraj on February 02 2004 14:38:07
Go to Top of Page

IfOnly
VP-CART New User

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - February 03 2004 :  05:13:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks siraj

I can already tell that the support in the forums is good.
I have ordered it now you have both cleared up the .NET concerns.
I am based in the UK, so storefront would not be a local advantage for me. Out of interest where are the Tech support staff based for VP-ASP?

Regards
Phil

Go to Top of Page

siraj
VP-CART New User

USA
194 Posts

Posted - February 03 2004 :  13:06:35  Show Profile  Visit siraj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They located in Australia but they do a good support..
GOOD LUCK.
SJ.

[email protected]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00