Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Test area when building
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

IfOnly
VP-CART New User

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - February 03 2004 :  05:07:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Being the first cart I am building, would it be possible to build it direct on the server but at a spare domain name, as my clients existing site is live on the address where the cart will go.

If so are there loads of changes that would need to be made on the finished product (accepting the credit card details to secure area probably could not be tested)
If there is a better way to go about? I would be pleased to hear

Regards
Phil

Jill
VP-CART Super User

USA
249 Posts

Posted - February 03 2004 :  07:50:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IfOnly,

You need a testing license.

http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/info/faq_licensekey.htm

Jill

Go to Top of Page

jonmadrid
VP-CART New User

USA
192 Posts

Posted - February 03 2004 :  11:45:55  Show Profile  Visit jonmadrid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
IfOnly,

You could do it on a different domain name. As Jill suggested, you would just need a testing license.

Or, you could simply configure the shop in a subdirectory (or even in the root) of the live site. Just don't provide any links to it until it's done and you should be in good shape. That way you are on the actual domain, can do complete testing, and won't have to worry about transferring when done with production. Once you are done with production you could just provide the links into the cart from the rest of your site... kind of open the door to it so to speak.

Would that work for you?

All the best,

Jon Madrid
--------------------
Madrid Communications
Web Design, Development, and Hosting
www.madridcom.com
Go to Top of Page

siraj
VP-CART New User

USA
194 Posts

Posted - February 03 2004 :  13:22:55  Show Profile  Visit siraj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There are fews points that you may consider if you gonna build your site at the same location of your cart go when its become live or any other public domain.
1. You dont need a sepearate license key if you gonna have the site build a site on same domain.
2. As you are on windows server you can have password protected files or some folder where you can set the permision and then keep your files in that particular directory so you are only will have the access to the site. So You dont have to worry about it and when you are done resett the permision so pulci can view it.
I would do the above becuase you can install the certificate and check that too.
GOOD LUCK.
SJ.

[email protected]
Go to Top of Page

IfOnly
VP-CART New User

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - February 04 2004 :  06:39:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you everybody.
I remember trialing Spookys Log In in a sub folder and some of the asp files did not carry out their job properly because they were expecting to be in the root. Perhaps, I will build in the actual root as Jon suggests and link later but if my exting home page is index.htm will the carts default.asp conflict with this?
How would you suggest avoid this please, yet allowing the existing home page to work?

Regards

Phil

Go to Top of Page

jonmadrid
VP-CART New User

USA
192 Posts

Posted - February 04 2004 :  06:50:28  Show Profile  Visit jonmadrid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can tell the server to look for default pages in a certain order, and if default.asp is higher on the list that index.htm, then yes, that would be a problem. Otherwise, I think you should be fine. However, given that you'll be working in the root I would recommend removing default.asp from the list of default pages until you are ready to launch. That way you run even less of a risk of someone bumping into your unfinsihed cart.

Does that help?

All the best,

Jon Madrid
--------------------
Madrid Communications
www.madridcom.com
Go to Top of Page

IfOnly
VP-CART New User

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - February 04 2004 :  07:20:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That snookers me. Here is the order of preference from my hosts support. (shared server - no control)

The documents are read in precedence from top to bottom, so if you had:

default.asp
default.htm
index.htm
index.html

and the files, index.htm and default.asp were to exist in this directory, then when the site was visited, default.asp would load by default. If default.asp was removed from the directory, index.htm would load instead.

Any suggestions
Phil

Go to Top of Page

jonmadrid
VP-CART New User

USA
192 Posts

Posted - February 04 2004 :  08:11:31  Show Profile  Visit jonmadrid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You could just rename the default.asp file from the cart to something else. If you do that, just go to the shop admin panel and set the configuration variable 'xhome' equal to the name of that file. Any links pointing back to the 'home' page will direct to whatever you set there.

All the best,

Jon Madrid
--------------------
Madrid Communications
www.madridcom.com
Go to Top of Page

IfOnly
VP-CART New User

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - February 04 2004 :  09:10:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote