Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-ASP set-up problems
 Moving from Windows Server 2003 to 2012
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

thedtb
Starting Member

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - July 27 2016 :  11:47:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all.

We''re moving our VPASP site windows server 2003 to windows server 2012.

The database structure and content has all been moved across and the same MySQL user (e.g. same username and password) configured for accessing it.

The website files etc have all been moved across.

A test url has been configured with a view to getting the site working on the new server and then migrating across a new copy of the live database and flicking the sitch. Both shop$config files are showing the correct access details and new (test) urls.

When I access the test url, it''s automatically wanting to do a fresh install. So I''ve renamed the $$$installation folder and the admin folders back to "installation" and "admin" and the fresh install process initiates correctly.

Folder permissions are reported as having been granted.

However, no matter what I try the website WILL NOT connect to the MySQL database whether by direct connection or by system DSN.

I''m pulling my hair out with this now... does anyone have any suggestions?

#FingersCrossed.

danielrichardson
VP-CART Super User

Australia
276 Posts

Posted - July 27 2016 :  11:59:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi thedtb, have you tried to connect MySQL manually using mysql client such as heidisql, navicat, phpmyadmin, etc, with same credentials (like on shop$config.asp)?
Go to Top of Page

thedtb
Starting Member

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - July 28 2016 :  13:58:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi danielrichardson,

Yes. phpMyAdmin is running on the server and that works fine.

I can configure a DSN to the database via the ODBC Data Connectors and that self-tests as working fine.

The website simply will not connect to the database either directly or via DSN.

It appears it''s not limited to just the VPCart though. Today I''ve created a whole new website, database mysql user etc and just tried to do a simple queryon the database... I''ve configured everything identically (e.g. usernames and passwords, dsn name, database name etc etc) on both the old server and the new one and it works fine on the old server but not on the new. To be specific, the website itself works fine on the new server but the moment there''s any attempt to find a database it falls over.

I''m not entirely sure how relevant this is but the differences between the servers are:

IIS.

Old server = V6
New server = V8.5

MySQL

Old server = 6 (I''m not sure this is right, but it''s what it tells me)
New server = 5.625

ODBC Driver

Old server = MySQL ODBC 3.51 Driver
New Server = MySQL ODBC 5.3 ANSI

I have installed the 3.51 driver to the new server, but that fails too.

I''m rapidly running out of ideas and I''ve now spent hours reading page after page of websites trying to work it out... unsuccessfully.

Any ideas?
Go to Top of Page

ryo_best
VP-CART New User

90 Posts

Posted - August 04 2016 :  10:19:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi thedtb,

"Today I''ve created a whole new website, database mysql user etc and just tried to do a simple queryon the database... I''ve configured everything identically (e.g. usernames and passwords, dsn name, database name etc etc) on both the old server and the new one and it works fine on the old server but not on the new."

is it clean install, so you do fresh install on the store on both server ? and still cannot connect to MySQL DB on new server, if that the case, I think some driver missing or incompatible with the DB connection.

" the website itself works fine on the new server but the moment there''s any attempt to find a database it falls over."
I think when we browse the store at default.asp, it''s already connect to DB, so I think if DB connection fails then your store will throwing error message, and maybe you can post the error message in here.

cheers
Go to Top of Page

squirrel
VP-CART New User

USA
73 Posts

Posted - August 06 2016 :  23:51:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@thedtb

Is your MySQL version downgraded on the new server? It seems so, based on your posting:
quote:
MySQL

Old server = 6 (I''m not sure this is right, but it''s what it tells me)
New server = 5.625

Anyway, why not try installing the latest version which is MySQL 5.7? Also, while setting it up, did you choose the "Setup Type" as "Developer Default" or "Server Only"? If the latter was chosen, this could cause issues in installation.

quote:
I have installed the 3.51 driver to the new server, but that fails too

This seems like you have configured your server wrongly. Like @ryo_best suggested, perhaps copy and paste here any error messages that you are getting at your end.

Or try a fresh set-up all together.

Recommended tutorials:
a) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1hkFXOhFxQ
b) http://www.sherweb.com/blog/installing-and-configuring-mysql-on-windows-server/
c) https://support.rackspace.com/how-to/install-mysql-on-windows-server-2008-r2-and-2012/

If you are still having trouble, I suggest that you open up a support ticket with the VPCART team and get them to set things up for you (probably, there might be a small fee for it).

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Daniel

Be Happy Always
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00