Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Ship - Any success stories
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rustytec
VP-CART New User

Australia
113 Posts

Posted - July 26 2006 :  20:11:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

I'm trying get my head around setting up a drop ship store.

Basically, the store would have a number of products in several categories, by several suppliers.

Stock is not held in a central warehouse, but orders are placed directly on the suppliers, for them to ship without paperwork to the customer. I see that VP-ASP has a facility to email the suppliers their part of orders that come in.

BUT, how do you handle freight?

Should there be a freight cost per item?

But what if the customer buys a few items from the same supplier, does that mean they would have multiple freight charges, or could there be a way that the system recognises that a group of items in the basket come from the one supplier and apply a weight or other consolidated shipping method, in lieu of just adding up item by item freigh amounts?

Has any one done a drop shipment store before and experienced issues relating to it's management and shipping?

I would be grateful for any points.

cheers

rustytec

Constantine
Starting Member

46 Posts

Posted - July 26 2006 :  21:21:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey

one of my sites i have set up uses drop shipping. i achieved this by using rhe ups shipping calculator.

There is an option in the ups configuration to tell vpasp to use the supplieers zip code for shipping calculations.

You might wanna give that a shot
Go to Top of Page

rustytec
VP-CART New User

Australia
113 Posts

Posted - July 31 2006 :  07:19:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks Constantine,

I'm in Australia, although I know we have UPS offices setup here, it's not a well used service here from what I know and has no representative in our area.

I know you can use the suppliers postcode (zip) in the Australia Post utility, but that doesn't really help to much as I will have other courier services.

Perhaps there is a way to 'assign' a courier etc to a supplier (mfg). Then have some type of 'behind the scenes' method of calculating costs per supplier delivery.

Anywaym thanks for your post, I'll keep looking.

cheers

Russ
rustytec

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00