Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 adding a "featured prodcut of the week"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ganesh
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - October 09 2005 :  09:17:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I want to add a "featured product of the week" section to left.htm on the home page. The section will have a photo of a prodcut, clicking which will take the user to the description page of the particular product. The image must change every week to display different products. Is there a provision for this? Or can anyone help me with the code.

Thanks

Regards
Ganesh

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - October 09 2005 :  14:00:26  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the frontpage logic can do that, or you can use a modified version of the "top-sellers" function.

But, here's a really useful little tool which can also achieve it which you can use in other places too, and use whatever kind of search-criteria you like:

Product Showcase addon (extremely enhanced "frontpage" set of functions with lots of samples) -
http://bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=105

demo link:
http://bigyellowzone.com/byz_showcase_demo.asp

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

dcwebman
VP-CART New User

USA
127 Posts

Posted - October 10 2005 :  08:02:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Simon,
I want to do the product of the week thing too but I need to specify which product I want. I couldn't see with your product showcase addon samples how that could be done.

Also, for your addon, is it possible to put the frontpage products in a rounded box like this sample?
http://www.copesonline.com/featured.gif
Thanks,
Jeff

Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - October 10 2005 :  12:25:47  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yes, it's possible to put things inside a box; you'd just change the template which you use for it to have the box in it. You can create/use whatever template files you like for any call to it (ie there's not just a single "frontpage" template; you can create/use as many different templates as you want, and use whichever template you want for any call.

The way that it finds the relevant product(s) is completely up to you, so you could have a hard-coded id in it, or you could use a flag field etc. I think your best bet would be to use a flag so that you don't have to keep changing the asps each time you change the product-featured.

So, just pick any "pother" column which you're not already using, and then use that. You can either use "is this populated (not-null)?" or you can say "is this set to "FEATUREDWEEK" ?" etc.

The readme document which comes with it explains all the arguments, so along with that and the sample calls you should be able to create a call to it for what you're after.

It's called with these arguments:

BYZShowCaseProducts _
"mandatorycolumnname", _
"mandatorycolumnbitflag", _
"matchingcolumnname", _
"matchingcolumntype", _
"matchingcondition", _
"matchingvalue", _
"extrasqlwhereclausetext", _
"templatefilename", _
"orderingcolumns", _
"randomizeresultsflag", _
"maximum_columns", _
"maximum_records", _
"header_html", _
"trailer_html", _
"odd_row_start_html", _
"odd_row_end_html", _
"even_row_start_html", _
"even_row_end_html", _
"odd_column_start_html", _
"odd_column_end_html", _
"even_column_start_html", _
"even_column_end_html"
%>

where most of them are optional and just left as default to use the default config values.

so, a featured product call might be like this:

BYZShowCaseProducts _
"pother3", _
"N", _
"", _
"", _
"", _
"", _
"", _
"tmp_featuredproductoftheweek.htm", _
"", _
"", _
"2", _
"4", _
"", _
"", _
"", _
"", _
"", _
"", _
"", _
"", _
"", _
""

Note that there's a extrasqlwhereclausetext argument, so you can also specify any other search criteria in there too if you want. Also, you can use the optional "*html" arguments to specify things like header/trailer/title displays etc.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on October 10 2005 12:27:59

Edited by - devshb on October 10 2005 12:30:03

Edited by - devshb on October 10 2005 12:44:29
Go to Top of Page

dcwebman
VP-CART New User

USA