Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Suggestions for future release
 Administration time-outs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rvaga
VP-CART Super User

USA
254 Posts

Posted - April 20 2005 :  15:44:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure if there is a solution to this, it's no big deal but simply annoying. . .

I would like the Administration to "refresh" or whatever, so when I'm doing something else and come back in awhile, I don't have to log on again. I'd like to just have the admin open all day long, until I decide to log off.

Possible somehow??

dcwebman
VP-CART New User

USA
127 Posts

Posted - April 21 2005 :  06:47:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This irritated me so much I had to find a solution. I just added this to the top of whatever you renamed shopadmin.asp to:
session.timeout = 60

This gives me 60 minutes before it times out. You can change it to what you want but I don't know if I'd set it for all day.
Jeff

Go to Top of Page

jonmadrid
VP-CART New User

USA
192 Posts

Posted - April 27 2005 :  13:46:24  Show Profile  Visit jonmadrid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys,

There is actually a configuration setting for this. It's xsessiontimeout. That way you don't have to put anything directly in the code. Be aware that upping the session.timeout value to high can have a negative affect on the server if used improperly since the higher the value, the more server resources are used. 20 minutes is the default value on most webservers.

A simple "fix" for the wanting to leave the admin page open all day would be to add a meta refresh tag into the head of your shopadmin_header.htm file to automatically reload the page every XX minutes. For example:

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="600">

Just add that insdie the <head> </head> tags of the shopadmin_header.htm file and that should do the trick. It'll reload the page every 10 minutes (600 seconds). Just make sure it's not frequently enough that it'll interupt you're work if your are actually using the admin panel. 10 minutes is likely a good amount of time.

All the best,

Jon Madrid
---------------------
Madrid Communications
Web Design, Development, and Hosting Services
www.madridcom.com
Go to Top of Page

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - April 27 2005 :  17:50:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These are all good suggestions. I like the option of extending the admin session without affecting all the customer sesssions as well. It seems that a single admin session shouldn't use so much resources that it would be a problem.

quote:

Just make sure it's not frequently enough that it'll interupt you're work if your are actually using the admin panel. 10 minutes is likely a good amount of time.

Jon, when this refresh occurs, will it clear any info in forms that you are actively editing? You'd hate to lose data you've entered just because the 10 minutes is up. That would almost be worse than the 20 minute session timeout.

Go to Top of Page

jonmadrid
VP-CART New User

USA
192 Posts

Posted - April 28 2005 :  12:19:39  Show Profile  Visit jonmadrid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes. It would cause the forms to refresh if the page reloaded. Bummer. It's not an ideal situation but if you have your session timeout set high enough, and the page refresh rate just under the session timeout limit, it should do what Jeff was looking for: allow you to keep the admin panel open until you log out.

I mentioned 10 minutes as a refresh rate because, more often than not, you're not spending more than a few minutes to add or edit content. That being the case, the page would only refresh after you haven't done anything for 10 minutes, at which point it might be safe to assume you're not currently using the site.

See what I mean?

10 minutes is arbitrary. It could be 30 and you could have your session timeout set at 40. Whatever works.

All the best,

Jon Madrid
---------------------
Madrid Communications
Web Design, Development, and Hosting Services
www.madridcom.com
Go to Top of Page

epseja
VP-CART New User

USA
61 Posts

Posted - November 10 2005 :  07:10:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I came up with a quick and easy solution to the problem that uses the meta refresh along with one custom page to make everything work out right without having the refresh occur at bad times.

First, go to shopheaders.asp and create a new header instance like this:

Sub AdminPageHeaderAutorefresh
%>
<!-- #include file="shopadmin_header_autorefresh.htm" -->
<%
end sub

Then, make a copy of shopadmin_header.htm and rename it to shopadmin_header_autorefresh.htm, and add the meta tag to the <head>. I used <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="300"> in mine.

Lastly, in shopadmin1.asp, change the call to sub AdminPageHeader (about line 17) to AdminPageHeaderAutorefresh.

Now, as long as you remember to return to the default admin menu screen between administrative stints, your session will keep alive without worry of having it refresh in the middle of making changes, completing forms, or the like.

Hope this helps!

-E

Go to Top of Page

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - November 10 2005 :  21:35:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Now, as long as you remember to return to the default admin menu screen between administrative stints, your session will keep alive without worry of having it refresh in the middle of making changes, completing forms, or the like.

Nice idea!

Go to Top of Page

epseja
VP-CART New User

USA
61 Posts

Posted - November 14 2005 :  07:19:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, the solution I suggested has since proven quite unreliable, and I don't know why. Sure, the page refreshes, but after only a few times it kicks out to the error page.

Odd.

Go to Top of Page

bluesky
VP-CART Super User

304 Posts

Posted - April 20 2008 :  08:48:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like simple ideas like this

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="600">

... but what extra code would needed to show a little countdown timer clock so there a little bit of notice as to when its bout to refresh
Go to Top of Page

seeker1
VP-CART New User

Australia
114 Posts

Posted - April 20 2008 :  15:32:36  Show Profile  Visit seeker1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
see http://www.hkprog.com/vpasp/hk_admin.htm

For a permanent solution to this problem.

Howard Kadetz
www.hkprog.com
[email protected]
VP-ASP customizations and software enhancements
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00