Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Problems and bugs
 Possible Cart Bug
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

uncle dewey
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - November 23 2004 :  15:17:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone noticed while changing the quantity of an item to more than what's in inventory (in the shopaddtocart.asp page) that it displays a msg. indicating that it was changed to stock level, but the qty. input in the text field is what the user last entered. For example:

Item has 20 in-stock. User puts item in basket then changes the quantity to 25. The msg. displays, but the qty in the text field is set to 1 because that was what was last entered. If you change it to say 5 and then try 25 it resets it back to 5.

I've checked the values passed to the Sub CheckStockLevelRecalculate and they have the correct values, but it still will not set the text box to the stock level.

Anyone else experience this?

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - November 23 2004 :  16:22:16  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is reasonably hard logic to put back the level in stock since there may be other items for the same product in the cart at the same time.

To just make the quantity = stock level world be incorrect in that case.

We felt best logic was to keep the quantity as it was.

It is certianly possible to rewrite and we will consider it for the future.

VP-ASP Support

Go to Top of Page

uncle dewey
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - November 24 2004 :  08:14:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's fine, and I can make any changes to the logic necessary. It's just that the message needs to match what is actually happening. Better, might be a msg. that states "Sorry, there's only 20 in-stock. . ." and then resets according to your logic or the maximum in-stock.

Go to Top of Page

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - December 23 2004 :  12:45:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Uncle Dewey-

Yes, I also noticed this recently. Its odd, because at the time I made this post: http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2972, it seemed to be working as you would expect given the language message. My guess based on Support's comment is that it does set the number in the cart to the inventory level at times, but in other situations can't correctly figure out the inventory level.

I think your suggested message wording will solve the problem. However, since the message on that screen doesn't give the stock level, I think it will require some custom programming to output the stock level. (This may not be easy based on Support's comment). So one clumsy but workable solution would be to just change the text to read:
"Sorry, we don't have that many in stock. To see how many we have, please remove this item from your cart and then re-add it with the quantity you desire. If the quantity you enter on the inital add-to-cart screen is more than we have in stock, then the cart will tell you how many we have so you can adjust your order amount accordingly."

Okay, I admit that's pretty clumsy.

Another solution might be to just change the text to read:
"Sorry, we don't have that many in stock. Please enter a lower quantity." ....and leave it up to the customer to do trial and error to find the max number they can order.

If you found a better solution, please post it.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00