Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 No Payment Type
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jeberlan
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - September 27 2004 :  07:29:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got an implementation of the cart that is recording orders with a null payment type (ocardtype). I'm expecting a Check/Cash from the other payments section, or PayPal. Most are labeled properly, but a few are not getting this field populated.
I've got a similar site that is only taking Other Payments (no PayPal) and it's happening there as well, so I don't think it's in the paypal module.
Any ideas?

jonmadrid
VP-CART New User

USA
192 Posts

Posted - September 30 2004 :  09:23:59  Show Profile  Visit jonmadrid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi There,

We have encountered similar situations with some of the carts we have developed for other businesses and have narrowed it down to this: The customer just isn't completing the order.

See, the order is created and stored in the database in two steps basically. The first is all the shipping and billing information from shopcustomer.asp. The next is captured when the payment information (i.e. credit card, PayPal, etc.) is entered and submitted a step or two later in the checkout process. If they don't submit that second form with the payment information you will have a "half-baked" order that will be missing key elements of data, one of which will be ocardtype.

So, for example, if someone creates and order and gets all the way to the payment information page, then goes to another website, closes the browser window, or doesn't do anything for too long and the session expires (default is 20 minutes), before he submits his paymemt information, the order will be left in the database without that important piece of info... Essentially leaving it just as you described in your post.

I'm not sure of the exact mechanism that's used for PayPal (it's been a while since I have configured a cart to use that) but I seem to recall that it was necessary for the customer to click on a "return to cart" link on the PayPal page in order to the information to be passed back to VP-ASP and for the database to be updated with the payment information. This may be the case as well: they just aren't clicking on that link to go back to you site. That would make sense if you are indeed getting the payments through PayPal but your orders are showing up the way you described in the shop admin.

In cases like the one you described, it's always good practice to check your merchant account (or whatever you use for payment processing) and verify that the order did indeed not get placed. I don't think I have ever seen a situation where we got results like I described above and the order had actually been placed though (with the exception of PayPal).

Hope that helps.

All the best,

Jon Madrid
--------------------
Madrid Communications
Web Design, Development, and Hosting
www.madridcom.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: