Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Access vs mysql vs SQL
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

StevenWWinters
Starting Member

47 Posts

Posted - August 25 2004 :  05:29:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those who have migrated from Access to either mysql or MS SQL, what factors drove your decision to upscale? How many product records, what performance issues, etc?

TIA,

Steven...

bmw000
VP-CART New User

137 Posts

Posted - August 25 2004 :  11:05:16  Show Profile  Visit bmw000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am using MS Sql Server 2000 database. I have approx 2100 active items for sale on my website.

I chose sql over access becuase access doesn't handle multiple uses accessing the same database well. I have had occurances where the database would get corrupt or update queries didn't run when they should and when you have over 1gig of data in an access database it doesn't seem to have good performance.

I think my sql database is approx 20 meg right which is tiny in the world of databases. I would rather go with a more robust system now than have to worry about database problems or conversions later on when I have reached my access database limits. I don't have too much experience with access database's via the web, but I have been working with access databases daily for the past six years and since I know how it reacts in a shared muli user enviornment I felt sql would be the way to go.

I generally use the access database for development, like the last time I redesigned my webpage I was able to run a second copy of vp-asp using the database and thier test products to get the format and functionality the way I wanted, then I moved it over to my live system.

Brian Weber
BMW Solutions, LLC
http:www.bmwsolutions.com

Go to Top of Page

CHAVOUSA
VP-CART New User

USA
86 Posts

Posted - August 26 2004 :  11:39:12  Show Profile  Visit CHAVOUSA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am using MS Access myself for my website. Although I have 3500 products online, their record size is small. The whole database right now is about 3MB. But I am considering switching to SQL because I don't want the users to have any problems at all trying to browse or access my website. Any suggestions/advice are welcome. Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

keng
VP-CART New User

152 Posts

Posted - August 26 2004 :  14:12:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am using MS Access myself for my website. Although I have 3500 products online, their record size is small. The whole database right now is about 3MB. But I am considering switching to SQL because I don't want the users to have any problems at all trying to browse or access my website. Any suggestions/advice are welcome. Thanks.

Could this be the reason why my default page loads slowly sometimes? I only have a demo store for now.. I even have like 10 sample items only.. MS Access should be able to handle this, right? Is there anything else I have to check on my actual database or any maintenance I have to do?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00