Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Suggestions for future release
 Title tags
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Janet
Starting Member

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - June 28 2004 :  04:56:34  Show Profile  Visit Janet's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How about the ability to add individual <title> tags, especially to category pages.
This is one of the most important elements in search engine optimisation, and without it VPASP is quite search engine-unfriendly (along with the need for cookies/sessions)

Speaking of which, how far off for V5.5 now??

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - July 03 2004 :  15:23:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I second this request. I have seen questions on how to do this elsewhere in the forum in the past. There have been some good user-to-user responses with information on hacks to make this work. However, it is useful enough that it would be a good feature addition.

Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - July 03 2004 :  18:38:25  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dynamic titles will be part of VP-ASP 5.50

Howard Kadetz
VP-ASP

Go to Top of Page

malfers
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - July 14 2004 :  02:31:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgive my ignorance, but can't you manually change the title of these pages?
Thanks

Go to Top of Page

PhoenixA
Starting Member

41 Posts

Posted - July 15 2004 :  11:51:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See my post here at the below address for info on how we added category specific title tags
http://www.vpcart.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2518

Go to Top of Page

Dulrr
VP-CART New User

57 Posts

Posted - July 15 2004 :  12:04:02  Show Profile  Visit Dulrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Forgive my ignorance, but can't you manually change the title of these pages?
Thanks

Dynamic pages recycle the same page over and over by using some sort of variable to determine what should be displayed. For example, when you're looking at products and categories in the VPASP shopping cart you'll only be looking at two different pages (shopdisplaycategories.asp and shopdisplayproducts.asp) - by passing the pages variables, usually through a querystring (the part that follows the '?' in the URL) the page knows where to look to get the information.

The problem, then, is that the <head> for these pages is static - so changing the <title> tag for one will change the title tag for all pages. PheonixA's solution (above) will add that dynamic component to your title tags through a nice small piece of javascript code.

Another possible solution to the problem could be to modify the shoppage_header file and make the <title> tag dynamic in a similar way. If you're feeling ambitious, you could also then add <meta> tags and use one of the unused category fields to store, say, a list of keywords for that category.

~D
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00