Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Dreamweaver Webpages
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JimFleming
Starting Member

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - June 10 2004 :  13:31:00  Show Profile  Visit JimFleming's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi

I am hoping someone might be able to help me. I have created a new website using Dreamweaver, which creates a main css file to run the pages.

My problem is when I try to break the main page into the shoppage_header and trailer, it seems the webstore program fights with the css commands of the dreamweaver templates.

Currently, I reproduced that main page for the header and trailer as a regular html file which seemed to be working. However, when I ran the new site through W3, it is telling me my site is illegal (You can't mix css with html).

Would anyone have a suggestion on how to correct this or could you enlighten me why this is happening?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - June 10 2004 :  14:58:15  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
how are you using/including all your css commands?

you could try pasting all the css commands/settings into the shop.css file, and then delete them from the main html pages and/or shoppage_header/trailer.htm files.

As an aside, if you're having problems working out which bits should go where in the shoppage_header/trailer files, and/or having problems making all the side-panels show up in the right places, you could try:
http://bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=26
(there's a demo on it too so you can see how it works)

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on June 10 2004 15:00:19
Go to Top of Page

JimFleming
Starting Member

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - June 10 2004 :  15:23:16  Show Profile  Visit JimFleming's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Simon

thanks for the suggestions, I will try that.

I wanted to clarify something. I didn't really have a problem breaking the main page into the header or trailer. When I first viewed the page, it looked fine. What was happening was when I went into a product category, if I touched the left navigation bar (generated by the dreamweaver css file), then the webpage would reload and I would loose the ability to see all the product on that page, and the bottom selection to turn the page was also gone. If you reloaded the page, it came back in full, but as soon as that left navigation bar was touched, it started again. The other thing that was strange, it only seemed to happen in Explorer. I also test my site with Netscape and Firefox. Neither of those viewers seemed to have a problem.

Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - June 10 2004 :  15:29:44  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
are the pages publicly available ? (if so, could you give the url ?)
then we could have a look at the html/javascript/css that's being generated as the end-result and spot what's going on.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Go to Top of Page

JimFleming
Starting Member

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - June 10 2004 :  16:10:14  Show Profile  Visit JimFleming's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Simon

I am loading a test shop because our main site is live. I will send you the url when it is up and running. It may take a bit.

Thanks for the response

Jim

Go to Top of Page

JimFleming
Starting Member

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - June 10 2004 :  22:24:16  Show Profile  Visit JimFleming's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Simon

I have a test site up and running and it does reproduce the problem.

the address is: http://www.buckinghamstencils.com/shoptest/default.htm

On this site, I only loaded a few products under Motif, Garden and Border stencil links to show the problem of this template. Click on one of them above product links. Now, if you scoll down to the bottom of that page before touching the left navigation column you will see the "next page" icon. Now, touch anything on the left hand nagivation bar, you should see the page quickly reload. Now scroll to the bottom, the "next page" icon and some of the product displayed on the lower page is gone. If you hit "refresh", it will come back.

I have also saved the generated dreamweaver css file as a text file if you need to review that. It is available to view at http://www.buckinghamstencils.com/shoptest/dreamcss.txt

I don't know if this might be causing the problem as you suggested earlier. I will be out of the office most of tomorrow, but appreciate the assistance you have given so far, and very interested on your opinion of the problem.

Thanks again, I appreciate any help you might suggest.

Jim

Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - June 11 2004 :  03:51:21  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It works ok on netscape, but not in internet explorer.

The head/body/html tags are being repeated within the page for each panel/section, so that might be part of the problem.

If you resize your browser window then the rest of the page also appears again (ie same "fix" as per doing a refresh) - it definitely looks like a rendering/browser issue related to the style sheet settings, but there's nothing that immediately jumps out as being the obvious cause.

My Advice would be firstly to delete the spurious head/html/body tags (I don't think that'll solve your problem, but it needs to be done anyway, and you never know; it might bring out the real cause somehow), and then try it again and see if it's still happening. If it is still happening, then take a copy of your css file as a backup, then delete the styles in it one-by-one (starting with the div's) and re-check after each deletion to narrow down which bit's causing the problem.

(or delete the divs altogether and use our panel splitter instead!)

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com

Edited by - devshb on June 11 2004 04:04:11
Go to Top of Page

GTM
VP-CART New User

USA
122 Posts

Posted - June 11 2004 :  03:57:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This might or might not be the problem but in your style #sectionLinks, you have it as position:relative, but you are trying to give it a border-bottom: 2px; value. A relatively positioned <div> cannot take a top, bottom, left, or right value, only absolutely positioned layers take these values.

You can read more at the W3C site here or here

Greg

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00