Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 How Do I set up "No Shipping"?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jmccann
VP-CART New User

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - September 30 2003 :  19:20:54  Show Profile  Visit jmccann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My price shown to customer includes shipping. How do I exclude the Shipping Option from checkout?

grayfox5
Starting Member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - September 30 2003 :  20:33:56  Show Profile  Visit grayfox5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know if this is what you have in mind, but this is how I set it up in ours...

We ship all over the place, and our parts department chooses to apply shipping charges after the fact. So at first I set the shipping up by going into the shipmethods table and creating one shipping method: Best Way. No dollars. Then in Configuration under Shipping I set xdefaultshipping method to Yes. That way, when a customer gets to the checkout screen, even if he tries to choose a shipping method, all he can choose is Best Way, and no money is applied.

For the confirmation email I went in to Languages, and for the langmailshippingcost field I changed it to "Shipping to be added to order". Finally (this is the tricky part) in the shopmailformat.asp page, I changed the line:

getlang("langmailshippingcost") & shopformatcurrency(rsorder("oshipcost"),ydecimalpoint) & cr & _

and simplified it to:

getlang("langmailshippingcost") & cr & _

This last step removes the zero dollars which would show up by default. So the customer's confirmation email now has a line that simply says "Shipping to be added to order" on one line, and underneath it: "Shipping Method: Best Way".

I later added more shipping methods and set the default shipping choice to No, because my department wanted to allow customers to choose shipping methods even though the price is added later. But there's some flexibility there depending on whether you want to inform the customer that shipping will be added later.

Jack
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - October 01 2003 :  01:29:00  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The easiest way is to set one record in the Shipmethods table call it "Free Shipping" (or anything else better suited) and set the price to 0

The customer will see this when the checkout

Howard Kadetz
VP-ASP

Go to Top of Page

grayfox5
Starting Member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - October 02 2003 :  15:20:38  Show Profile  Visit grayfox5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, that's basically what I did with the "Best Way" record and 0 dollars. But it would depend on how confusing it might be to customers if you really DO charge shipping after the fact, and their confirmation email tells them that shipping is 0 dollars.

That's why I took the additional step of modifying the email text so that the customer would know he'll be charged shipping as appropriate. Same way with tax. Then when they get the Tracking message, they see those charges if they apply. Just depends on your situation.

Jack
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00