Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Problems and bugs
 Can''t export multiple categories
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

quartz44
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - June 03 2013 :  12:17:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone,

First post although I''ve been using VPASP for years now.
I''m currently running V6.0.8. Here is my problem:

When I need to make major product revisions and use the Export Products function, only the first product Category listed actually gets exported. So if an item was listed in multiple categories, all of them but 1 gets lost. So then after I replace the database and re-Import Products, I have to go into VPASP and manually re-add every category that was lost. This is very time consuming for me.

I think this might be the problem: The Category field is set up as a drop-down menu. When editing an individual product inside of VPASP, I can add more categories by pulling down the menu, selecting the category number, and then clicking the Add Category button. But when I do the Export Products function, there is only one Category field in the CSV file. It''s called CCategory. So VPASP is only exporting one of the categories assigned to that product. How do I get it to export all of a product''s categories to the csv file?
Is this an issue that has been fixed in 7.0?

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - June 04 2013 :  10:02:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can I ask why you have to replace the database every time? Could you not use the bulk import feature instead?

Regards,

Carrol
www.deanston-electrical.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

quartz44
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - June 05 2013 :  11:57:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Carrol,
For exports, I prefer to use the Export Products function, rather than use Bulk Product Update, because I often have to edit many fields for multiple products, and prefer to work within a spreadsheet rather than directly in VPASP.

For imports, I believe replacing the database is the same as using the Bulk Import function. However, I think the problem lies in the export, because the categories that get lost were displaying in VPASP before the export.

Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - June 06 2013 :  05:57:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

All the categories assigned to any product are stored in a matrix table called prodcategories. Any time you add or remove a category in a product record, this is the table which is updated, so there is no field in the product table for you to export. However, you can use the level3 field in the product records to store a comma separated list of all the categories for that product, and each time you overwrite the database you can upload and open the convertproducts.asp page on your site. (This file would have been deleted when you originally went live with your site, but you should have a copy of it locally) This will populate the prodcategories table with all the data stored in the level3 field. You should then delete the convertproducts.asp file from the server.
If you have any problems or questions please just ask.

Regards,

Carrol
Go to Top of Page

quartz44
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - June 06 2013 :  10:45:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Carrol,
Thank you!
I think I understand what you are talking about, and will give it a try.
Best regards,
Jon
Go to Top of Page

quartz44
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - June 06 2013 :  11:07:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh one last thing: So after I run convertproducts.asp, why I have to delete it from the server?
And once I do that, I guess I should keep a local copy which I will have to ftp to the server before I run it again next time?
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - June 07 2013 :  03:54:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jon,

the older "convert" files are not secure, but if you change the name of the file and add an Admin Session check, then you can leave the file on the server and use it whenever necessary. If you need any help with this just ask.

Regards,

Carrol
Go to Top of Page

quartz44
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - June 07 2013 :  09:32:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again Carrol!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic