Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 access or mysql
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

faolie
VP-CART New User

98 Posts

Posted - October 15 2008 :  13:49:20  Show Profile  Visit faolie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was complaining to my web host about response times and they told me to change my db to mysql or sql as Access was old and not supported by anybody, including microsoft. Is this an issue? Should we still be using Access or, perhaps at least for new sites, should we using mysql?

Any answers??

thanks

David Heriot

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - October 15 2008 :  14:01:02  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if your data volume and your visitor numbers are relatively small, then access should be fine.

Access is a core microsoft product; there's absolutely no way that it's unsupported, or that it will become unsupported; if the host told you that then they're lying and trying to divert you from the real issues.

If access fits in with your volume/visitors, then move host.

(webecs.com are good hosts)

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

faolie
VP-CART New User

98 Posts

Posted - October 16 2008 :  05:03:06  Show Profile  Visit faolie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Simon. btw, webecs.com - a US-based host? You haven't had any problems with support or seo-type issues for uk sites hosted on us machines?

DH
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - October 16 2008 :  05:33:35  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We're uk based, but we still use webecs; never had any problems with them, either server-wise or support wise. Whenever we have had problems it's always ended up due to something on our side rather than caused by the host.
Their support is also pretty good, but we very rarely need to use it because their servers seem to be very stable.
I don't think there are any seo issues related to having the servers in a different country to where the domain/site/company is registered; speedwise it doesn't seem to make a significant difference.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

faolie
VP-CART New User

98 Posts

Posted - October 16 2008 :  10:18:06  Show Profile  Visit faolie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Simon, that's useful to know.

David Heriot
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00