Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Page Titles (Again - But Different)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - September 23 2007 :  15:12:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I've been able to change the titles og the product, category and content pages which wasn't too difficult so that a variet of items show up in them. Like the name of the product and keyphrase and the manufacturer.

However I am having problems with the following pages:
shoptellafriend.asp
shopreviewadd.asp
shopreviewlist.asp

What I would like is for the page title of these pages to read tell a friend about [cname], add a review about [cname] and read reviews about [cname]. Instead they just show the default title which means we have approx 18,000 pages with the same title (not very search engine friendly).

The dynamic titles are controlled in the shopheaders.asp file, but where do you control the headers of these 3 pages?

Any ideas anyone?

Thnaks

Steve
www.clixgalore.co.uk/AffSelectProgram.aspx?AdvProgID=7911
www.temptationsdirect.co.uk

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - September 23 2007 :  20:34:03  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
by default I don't think those kind of pages will have their titles set (although it might depend on the path that you use to get there; if you go from product detail pages then it's possible they'll be set from the product you were just looking at), but it would be relatively simple to add them; if if were me I think I'd call an amended copy of SetupdynamicProduct (in shopheaders.asp) with the relevant arguments from within those pages before shoppageheader is called. this logic doesn't just apply to titles either; applies for keywords too as I'm sure you've already gathered.

also, I think I'd hide tell-a-friend and write-review from the search engine robots via a robots.txt file, but allow read-review for them

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on September 23 2007 20:36:11
Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - September 24 2007 :  07:26:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Simon,

Thanks for the reply.

I came to the same conclusion that an amended copy of SetupdynamicProduct would be needed. I'm going to add it to the relevant files rather than call it from shopheaders (makes it easier for me to find at a later date).

I was going to hide the pages using a robots file, but I had a chat with some SEO guys a couple of weeks ago and they reminded me that search engines like "meaty sites" as long as the content is different and as long as page titles are different. Hence the need to change the titles.

They also reminded me that the internal structuring and linking of a site are important. So if you are not worried about a page being in the index, (as we aren't with the write a review and tell a friend) you may need to remember that the internal links that are on a page may be impotant enough for you to allow search engines to spider the page.

Just another point of view but one with valid points.

The thing is SEO is always speculation isn't it.

Steve
www.clixgalore.co.uk/AffSelectProgram.aspx?AdvProgID=7911
www.temptationsdirect.co.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00