VPCart Forum
 Suggestions for future release
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - April 03 2004 :  20:04:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why, if the installation process leaves behind areas/methods for access to loser boneheads, isn't there a automatic deletion of all the unnessary files after installation?

And.. Why not send an e-mail or make a phone call with exclusive usreids and passwords so that your software is not vulnerable to smartass sissies for any period of time?

My VP-ASP was installed by FrontPage Web Hosting So if you guys or someone you sell through installs on the host site why not do these things? I know perhaps those who buy/install/then upload may need?,
to check funtionality out, however, you guys are smart enough to work this out.
And I say that in all sincerity.
[email protected]

United Kingdom
1898 Posts

Posted - April 04 2004 :  05:53:15  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it is possible to plug all these gaps before releasing the site onto a public server.
but, just like you, I'd also like to have some kind of switch that I can set to automatically plug those holes before the files get copied to the site. (a lot of people, myself included, just use a normal pc setup for their source and then copy the whole lot to the host, rather than hosting it on their pc beforehand as a kind of offline server)
The key things are to change the admin id/pwd in the user table and moving the database file to a different/secure directory before you upload the files to a host.
not everyone who uses vpasp is a programmer, and these are key security issues.

Maybe one idea would be for vpasp to split the vpasp files into 2 sections when sending out the software, with one section being the current full list of files, and the second section being a "good-to-go" version of the same files but with the diagnostic files taken out and the admin id/pwd renamed automatically on a per-order basis (along with the name of the admin login screen), so that everyone who buys vpasp gets a different admin login page name and a different id/pwd. That way, the only thing you'd need to do is to change the location of the database file and voila; all measures implemented.

Simon Barnaby
Freelance Developer
Java-E UK
[email protected]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000