Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 how do I get long description to show in store
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

1stpita
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - February 24 2015 :  01:48:45  Show Profile  Visit 1stpita's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I''ve been working on my store preparing it for our company''s new products. At the moment I have them all hid because I can''t show them in the store until July 2015.

I added in the short description and also put in the long description.

However when I do unhide the product all I can see at the moment is the short description. The long description does not appear anywhere.

Prior to this I had used separate html pages which caused double the work. I have no time for that at the moment and most customers never seem to have found those anyway - they never clicked the see more link. I definitely do not want to have to do that for all these new products but I do want the customers to get a complete description of what they are purchasing too. I want my customers to be able to see both the short and long description when they come to the store.

Should I just put all of the descriptions into the short description and leave it at that. Or is there a way that I can have both in there and also where it doesn''t fill up too big a space as some descriptions can be big from this company.

I do not want to bother with the templates either as that is just even more things I have to manipulate (and I definitely don''t understand all those anyway) and it would be like using the webpages that I used in the past - more work then needed.

If you have the solution for this please let me know but please do not get to techie with me. I don''t do coding well, lol.

Thank you,

diegomilito
VP-CART Expert

Argentina
779 Posts

Posted - February 24 2015 :  03:51:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
from my experience, simple way to your problem, is editing file tmp_productformat.htm , also dont forget tmp_productformatinvent.htm and open them using editor program, i usually using just a notepad, and u try to find [translate cdescription], simply add another new code next to it <BR>[translate extendeddesc]
try first and tell me
diego.
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - February 24 2015 :  03:56:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi 1stpita,

are you using the free version of the VP-ASP cart?

Regards,

Carrol
www.deanston-electrical.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

1stpita
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - February 24 2015 :  10:23:03  Show Profile  Visit 1stpita's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Carrol,

No it is not the free version. It is one that was upgraded from a previous version to version 7 by vp-asp staff when that version first became available.

Thank you,
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - February 24 2015 :  11:59:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi 1stpita,

I think you have 2 choices for displaying extra descriptions.

1. A a link to see more, which will take the customer to an automatically generated extended description page which you could also show the customer larger images. TO do this you need to go to admin panel, advanced settings, software configuration and search for field name xgenerateshopexdlink. Set this to Yes

2. Show the extended description on the standard product layout. You will need to open a template file and add a small piece of code (to call the description) This may not be ideal because as you say, there might be very long descriptions from suppliers.

Happy to help if you get stuck :)

Regards,

Carrol
Go to Top of Page

1stpita
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - February 24 2015 :  13:23:44  Show Profile  Visit 1stpita's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Carrol,

From what I understand there it says it requires some type of upgraded service pack.

After the upgrade done by this company I got the following in two separate emails -

VP-ASP 7.00 Service Pac 1
Download update Pac, over 30 enhancements

I am not proficient as installing all of this and it cost me a bit more then I could afford at the upgrade time.

So I now have to try to install these in order for the extended description to show? One of the things that bothers me on this is in the instruction manual it says "There are a number of files that need to be updated and if you have made changes to the default code then the
upgrade process can have an increased level of difficulty.
A great help for you will also be if you can locate the original copy of VP-ASP Cart that you used to build your site
with as this can be used to compare against your live site to isolate any code changes you have made in. "

I do not know what exactly the tech did in the site to modify any default code or if any was modified.

The other thing is that support never told me what my they renamed this file to ~ "Go to "SP1" folder, rename file "shopadmin.asp" located in the folder "SP1\admin\" to a name that is the
same as your existing 7.00 admin page name e.g. if your existing admin page is called myadmin.asp, then
please rename shopadmin.asp to myadmin.asp."

Unknown what to do at this point.

Thanks,
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - February 25 2015 :  04:14:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi 1stpita,

is this the message that you see in the admin panel?

<<Yes tells VP-ASP to generate a hyperlink to shopexd.asp when a product is displayed. This removes the need to enter a value in each product record. requires VP-ASP Option Package.>>

I don''t think this applies to the version of the cart which you have. Try setting it to Yes, then click continue. Change one of your products to hide=No and see if it works.

If your site was upgraded to version 7.00 by support staff, then you could ask them to install the service pack too. Just say to them that you do not feel confident enough to do it yourself.

Regards,

Carrol
Go to Top of Page

1stpita
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - February 25 2015 :  16:20:36  Show Profile  Visit 1stpita's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Carrol,

I so appreciate all your help! You were right that my version could do this and now I can see the extended description page.

I do not think I can ask support staff to install the service pack or the update pac though. I had paid for them to do the upgrade on the site in 2010 and the service pack came through my email about a month after that. Was too scared I would mess all their work up if I tried to install anything over what they did and I really didn''t have more funds to spend having them do it for me. I also thought I would get back to it when I had more time to mess around with it. They both ended up getting filed in one of my email folders and found recently because of the new products I now have to put into my store.

I do not even know if this service pack or update pac would be all that beneficial to my store either. Most of the time my customers have said they prefer the way my store is as it is pretty basic. Before it just had the product number, the name of the product, cost, item amount down and the order button - I had added pictures too of some of the products. I had separate html pages that were linked to the store which was, as I said in my first post here, a hassle to deal with for this new amount of products so I wanted to just keep it more based from the store this time, especially since customers who I had asked, said they rarely went to the html pages; they just googled what they wanted and found the store that way.

Do you think these would enhance the shopping experience for them all that much since you probably have done all these on yours? Thinking if I asked the support staff for help it would cost me more funds which I do not have at this point in time.

Thank you once again for helping me to get this and the other problem I had posted resolved. You are totally awesome!

Cheri
Go to Top of Page

1stpita
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - February 27 2015 :  02:37:34  Show Profile  Visit 1stpita's Homepage  Reply with Quote
just another add in here... when I see the tell a friend area it only shows a portion of the left side of this area with just person who is sendings name and email to fill in and whom to send it to below. No other portion showing of this. In other words only the one half of the box as I can see only part of the top, left and bottom borders of it too. So is there a fix for that too?

Edited by - 1stpita on February 27 2015 02:39:01
Go to Top of Page

diegomilito
VP-CART Expert

Argentina
779 Posts

Posted - February 27 2015 :  23:00:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1stpita, what about showing your tell a friend page url for me ? i want to see how it looks like..
diego
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - March 02 2015 :  11:28:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The update pack may contain extra security measures and it is always advised that you keep up to date with any security upgrades especially if you are planning on taking payments through your site. But it is your choice.

Regarding the Tell a Friend display issue, I agree with Diego that if you could provide us with a link or a screen shot so that we can see what the problem is, we may be able to help more quickly.

Regards,

Carrol
Go to Top of Page

1stpita
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - March 02 2015 :  13:54:24  Show Profile  Visit 1stpita's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carrol and Diego,

I will consider doing the updates for the added security.

Here is the screenshot. All this is on the long description page and is at the bottom of that page. Never had it before so do not know why things are not showing up fully.

https://www.healthandsunshine.com/screenshots/screenshotfriend.jpg

Hope that works for you and thank you,

Cheri
Go to Top of Page

diegomilito
VP-CART Expert

Argentina
779 Posts

Posted - March 03 2015 :  03:03:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i looked to your screen file and i think ur site maybe having modified ?
check tabcontent700.css inside the folder called ''stylesheets'' and u try to compare with their vpasp default of the same file and see if your file is custom or not.
how about u try and see ?
diego
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - March 04 2015 :  08:53:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Cheri,

the width of your tell a friend form is too short because it is held within an iframe called tellfriendiframe and you need to find out where this frame class width is being set.
You could start by looking in your web folder for a folder called templates. Open this folder and find old_templates folder. Then open the folder called css. Open the files and search for tellfriendiframe. The easist way to do this is to use the Edit menu and then Find. If you do find this frame then you will have to change the width setting to 480px or whatever size fits best. If you cannot find the iframe class within these files, it may be stored in one of the files in the website (1st level) stylesheets folder.
Any problems, just ask :)

Regards,

Carrol
Go to Top of Page

1stpita
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - March 08 2015 :  14:24:28  Show Profile  Visit 1stpita's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Carrol and Diego,

I will work on this today. Wanted to let you know I was still around but had not seen any emails on this subject so had not gone online to read it until today. I will let you know how it goes. Thank you again for all your help.

Cheri
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00