Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Add-ons for VP-ASP
 UPS Realtime
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gaudicia
Starting Member

USA
30 Posts

Posted - October 16 2007 :  08:14:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I select UPS 3 Day Select, it redirects me to the same page. I have this problem only with this option.

Any idea how to fix it?

Also, how will I be able to order the shipping by price from lowest to highest.

Thank you.

Edited by - Gaudicia on October 16 2007 08:26:20

alaroche00
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - August 20 2008 :  13:29:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am having this same issue. Did you ever find a solution?
Go to Top of Page

g3nnin
VP-CART Super User

209 Posts

Posted - August 20 2008 :  13:47:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I think it's because "Select" is in bad character list. You could modify the code inside upsxmlrealtime.asp:

shipmethodtype=cleanchars(request("shipmethodtype"))

Into:

shipmethodtype=request("shipmethodtype")
Go to Top of Page

alaroche00
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - August 20 2008 :  14:07:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What does cleanchars do? Could there be any side effects to doing this?
Go to Top of Page

cayars
Starting Member

USA
49 Posts

Posted - August 21 2008 :  00:21:26  Show Profile  Visit cayars's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I changed that line and haven't had a problem at all with any shipping types. I don't remember off the top of my head but I think that Sub doesn't like the "-" in "3-Day" and it trips it up.

I've actually made quite a lot of changes to my shipping subsystem lately. Off the top of my head I've:
Integrated multiple shipping carriers on one page.
Added a shipping "calc" to the cart. (give estimates without having to create an account or checkout)
Fixed handling of singled items that need to be shipped seperately.
Added box weights which guesses amoung 3 different boxes based on both number of items and price. I've got 50K items with sizes all over the place so it's only a guess.
I add $x.xx to certain shipping selections to cover packing and box cost while not charging say USPS priority since I get these boxes for free. I figure I have to pay for the boxes to ship via parcel post or UPS ground and they aren't free.
I've added shipping insurance to all carriers based on the carriers policy. On checkout the user for example can choose (parcel post without insurance or parcel post with insurance). Again for all carriers.
I made a change to a few "engines" so I "cap" the low cost and change the price. For example some small items could be shipped in a 1 pound USPS priority package for $4.75. I might only make $1.00 on the product so instead of adding a "handling charge" I instead don't ship anything less then $8.79. Now I make $5 instead of $1 on the same shipment. :) Seems people expect shipping to be in the $8 range or more even on something small so there are no objectsions. But using "true" shipping with a $4/5 handling fee drives people crazy. People "hate" handling fees but expect "shipping charges" so...
Added a percent markup (i.e 5%) to all shipping calculation. I do this to cover the 3% paypal takes on the dollar plus the 2% goes toward labels for shipping. :) Don't forget if you use paypal or CC you actually loose $2-$3.00 on every $100 you ship as paypal takes there cut of the WHOLE order and not just the product cost.

Oh the first thing I did was change the way the code handles weights, especially USPS. No more seperate pound and ounce fields. I just use one and can store something like 2.4 pounds and the calc will handle it correctly including rounding up the weight which it didn't do correctly before.

I've also modified my checkout to handle PO Boxes much better. I was having an occasional issue where people listed their "street" address thinking a package was being sent UPS/DHL/Fedex only to have USPS bulk at the delivery because it didn't go to a PO Box. This was mostly a wording issue on checkout but so far has solved the problem.

Wow sidetracked. :) But yep the post g3nnin made should work just fine.
Go to Top of Page

Season
Starting Member

37 Posts

Posted - August 22 2008 :  20:07:14  Show Profile  Visit Season's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cayars, can you post info about the Shipping "calc" to the cart. (give estimates without having to create an account or checkout)

I have one but you need to put the item in the cart.

Can you share this info.

Thanks Cliff
Go to Top of Page

cayars
Starting Member

USA
49 Posts

Posted - August 22 2008 :  21:20:05  Show Profile  Visit cayars's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The way mine is currently setup you do have to add the item to the cart but I could easily give a price for any item also. I actually thought about doing that also, but for now have decided against it. The main reason is that UPS and USPS aren't the fastest at giving the results back and I don't want tons of connections to them at any given time.

Now if a person adds the item to the cart then they are kind of serious about purchasing the item so I don't mind them looking up the shipping cost at any time. The user/customer doesn't have to have an account setup. The calc will prompt them for a zipcode and use this.

I run a few different shopping carts/websites and might try this on a product level on one site just to give it a shot. I'll probably add a link to the detail page like "Check Shipping Costs" and it would look up the price for just that item. The only draw back to this is that people might think your shipping is high. For example if you look up one product (say 1lb) and get a USPS price of $5 and then do the same with another item and get $5 a lot of users will ASSUME the shipping is going to be $10 but in reality will probably be $5.80-$6.

By adding the items to the shopping cart they are always checking the whole order for shipping and little items added have a small incremental shipping cost. I'd tend to think I'd get more orders this way.

Carlo
Go to Top of Page

Driftmaster
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - August 24 2008 :  19:01:38  Show Profile  Visit Driftmaster's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is exactly correct, Carlo, regarding the incremental cost with having more than one item being shipped to a customer. Depending on the type of products, many items may be shipped in a single carton or an order may require several cartons, all things that can affect the shipping cost. Also, if a customer is buying in bulk, the order may be shipped by a freight carrier rather than UPS or Fedex (or others) and the customer may save a significant amount of money by using a freight carrier for the shipment.

I worked for a distributor of high-end commercial electronics and had over 250 customers, some who purchased onesy-twosy and others who purchased bulk, so there was always a reason to look at the 'best' shipping method for a particular order.

I'm new to VP-ASP and I'm reading everything, but I think these forums may be as good a place as any for some helpful tips.

1 is lonely number, but the only number I like.
Go to Top of Page

cayars
Starting Member

USA
49 Posts

Posted - August 25 2008 :  23:23:26  Show Profile  Visit cayars's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Amen to 1.

Now if only I could find someone to help. :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00