Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Add-ons for VP-ASP
 Print or CD Catalog
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Sharon
VP-CART Super User

357 Posts

Posted - September 26 2007 :  07:54:00  Show Profile  Visit Sharon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think that this product sounds great and would be really useful for my company when preparing large tender bids and proposals.

I have one problem. Since migrating from Access to MSSQL I do not have a local copy of the database. I use our host's MSSQL and keep all data on their servers.

Am I right in thinking that I won't be able to use your CatPublisher with a remote database?
Go to Top of Page

bwilkens
Starting Member

USA
18 Posts

Posted - September 26 2007 :  12:01:50  Show Profile  Visit bwilkens's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Sharon,

It could be used with a remote database (i.e. linking to the tables as opposed to importing) but linking does not allow you to modify the products table to add the the export sequence field, merged field and cdcatalogpage field. Without the cdcatalogpage field, you cannot create a cd catalog, but you could probably survive without the expseq and merged fields - I will test it today and let you know more. Even if you don't have a local copy of MSSQL, I think you should at least be able to import tables from it to Access? You might want to check with your hosts. I'll try to test that, too. Thanks for your interest. Will get back with more info, soon.
Go to Top of Page

bwilkens
Starting Member

USA
18 Posts

Posted - September 27 2007 :  11:28:34  Show Profile  Visit bwilkens's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Sharon,

I've checked this out and you should be able to import tables to Access from your remote server. Just follow the installation directions for creating the ODBC Data Source and when asked for the default database, type in the url/directory where your database resides. Linking doesn't work because you can't modify a linked file to add the expseq, merged and cdcatalogpage fields. Try it out and if you have any problems or questions, please don't hesitate to ask here or through the contact email at my site.

http://www.eawdesigns.net

changed url

Edited by - bwilkens on July 22 2008 16:08:22
Go to Top of Page

Sharon
VP-CART Super User

357 Posts

Posted - September 27 2007 :  12:23:49  Show Profile  Visit Sharon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I'll try it tomorrow and report back here with my progress.
Go to Top of Page

Sharon
VP-CART Super User

357 Posts

Posted - October 17 2007 :  08:45:01  Show Profile  Visit Sharon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am really happy with this add-on to VPASP. We use MSSQL and the database is on the remote server with no local copy of the database or MSSQL.

I have found this easy to use, even getting data from the remote database was easy enough. I have had queries and tweaks to sort out but am very happy with this and Beth has been quick, helpful and understanding too as our data and structure is not simple. We have over 4000 products in over 400 categories and I'm really glad someone came up with this as a product before I was asked how to do it!

We have had problems with agents in remote countries who are on dial-up only for web access. With this we can produce a CD with the content of our entire web on it and send it out to agents for day to day use.
Go to Top of Page

theringlord
VP-CART New User

107 Posts

Posted - July 11 2008 :  13:41:11  Show Profile  Visit theringlord's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm interested in trying this but the link takes me to a page that has nothing to do wiht a catalog publisher... the VPASP Add on Site has the same problem. Is this still available?
Go to Top of Page

Sharon
VP-CART Super User

357 Posts

Posted - July 14 2008 :  04:57:01  Show Profile  Visit Sharon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I used this and it certainly was good for us. I still have the email address so I've sent a message suggested that the programmer has a look at this thread.

Hope it helps.
Go to Top of Page

bwilkens
Starting Member

USA
18 Posts

Posted - July 14 2008 :  13:03:13  Show Profile  Visit bwilkens's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you to Sharon for the heads up!

I hadn't been to my site in at least a month and a half. I checked it out and it seems my domain name registration expired (don't know why I wasn't notified) and someone else bought my domain name and now wants to sell it back to me. So now I have to register my site under another name and redo the pages to reflect my new url. I will post my new link here in a day or two when I have it redone.

I just don't want this to happen to other VPASP users so I am posting to the forum as a heads up to all the shop owners to make sure they renew their domain names on time.

Beth
Go to Top of Page

theringlord
VP-CART New User

107 Posts

Posted - July 21 2008 :  11:03:16  Show Profile  Visit theringlord's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Any news? I'd like to see this software or some info on it. it sounds liek what I want but I could be just waiting and find its not.
Go to Top of Page

bwilkens
Starting Member

USA
18 Posts

Posted - July 22 2008 :  15:44:09  Show Profile  Visit bwilkens's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry it took so long - finally got my new site up and working. You can demo the software at:

http://www.eawdesigns.net

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask me.
Hope it works for you.

Beth Wilkens
Go to Top of Page

bss
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - August 23 2010 :  22:08:28  Show Profile  Visit bss's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the domain www.eawdesigns.net has expired, does anyone know where I mingt find this software?
Go to Top of Page

Sharon
VP-CART Super User

357 Posts

Posted - August 24 2010 :  02:02:48  Show Profile  Visit Sharon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have an email address for Beth that might still work.
bbwilkens-??-comcast.net (replace the -??- with @)

Please post if you do manage to make contact because I still have this software.
Go to Top of Page

Sharon
VP-CART Super User

357 Posts

Posted - November 17 2010 :  09:52:19  Show Profile  Visit Sharon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have just discovered this software.

http://www.inspyder.com/products/Web2Disk/Default.aspx

I'm impressed with it. Works fine with my v7 site with over 4,000 products in 400+ categories.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2
Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00