Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Add-ons for VP-ASP
 BigYellowZone questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rvaga
VP-CART Super User

USA
254 Posts

Posted - June 18 2005 :  17:27:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use several of devshb's BigYellowZone add-ons, and highly recommend them. I don't have the panel splitter, would be fun to try, but maybe it would make a lot more sense for a web site starting out, as the initial design is being shaped.

devshb, if you happen to read this. . .

On the "Missing Images Report" it works great! Any chance you guys could add a category filter? It would be helpful, at least to me, to limit the search results for missing images to individual categories. I have several categories that do not have images, and these hundreds of items end up on a much too long list, before I start getting into the mistakes of my leaving out a graphic.

And, a request:
I would like a VPASP add-on very much like the Missing Images Report, but designed to find duplicate products (ccode) or duplicate catalog ids, or duplicate anything for that matter. I have noticed that a site-wide search can bring up exactly the same product several times, from different categories (I have thousands of products). That's not the end of the world, but I'd like to be able to see how many duplicates there are, and whether I want to leave them in all of their respective categories or not. I enter category data with Access and Bulk Import, not via the VPASP product "add record" method. Duplicate products are often a result of not having a clear category for that particular product, so it can be entered into several different categories.

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - June 19 2005 :  02:56:27  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The missing images report is still on version 1, so it's ripe for an enhancement/upgrade I reckon too!

At the moment the only parameter is the maximum number of products to show (ie stop at "x" invalid products)

Does anyone else who's bought it (either on its own or as part of a bundle), or anyone who's thinking of buying it, have any other requests for parameters that they'd find useful ? We're always open to suggestions, and most of the time those requests end up in the addons, so feel free to post your thoughts here or email them to me direct.

We've just finished creating a page on our site which lists all the version changes of all our addons so that people can see if they need an upgrade for the various addons. We'll also be changing our BYZ Addon Admin Screen (byz036) to have some kind of "byz update" (like windows update) where you can press a button to be told of all the pending changes that you can upgrade to.

new note: that full product list with version history is now available:
http://bigyellowzone.com/softwareversions.asp

That new page on the site which lists the version history will also show how all the addons are connected and the bundles each one is in etc so that people can have an easy overview of which elements they might want to use etc. I've created that new page, it's now in the boss's hands to overview before it gets a live link added to it.

The easiest way to find duplicates is to go into admin's advanced query and doing a sql like:

select ccode,count(*) from products group by ccode having count(*)>1

we use advanced query all the time; it's really useful for finding duplicate customer emails etc.

eg:

select email from customers group by email having count(*)>1

if anyone is reading this and wants to find out what the missing images report is and how to buy it, here's the link:

http://bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=82

On the subject of addons, our "Multiple Download Files per Product" addon (BYZ083) - see: http://bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=100
has currently only been proved for access databases; if anyone uses a sqlserver database for their vpasp site and wants this (and already uses secure download products/files), then the first person to let us prove it on their sqlserver site gets it for free! Any takers for that, please email me to say you're interested, and if you're the first person then I'll email back and sort it out.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on June 19 2005 04:28:54
Go to Top of Page

rvaga
VP-CART Super User

USA
254 Posts

Posted - June 22 2005 :  11:30:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I'll chime in here again. But first, Simon, your SQL query
...select ccode,count(*) from products group by ccode having count(*)>1...
is EXACTLY what I needed. Thank you very much!! I found dozens of duplicate products that I had no idea existed.

Regarding the Missing Images Report: I would like to be able to filter by category, and it would be great to be able to fix the problem on the displayed page, similar to bulk product update. If 50 products were shown to have missing images, I could then enter the individual graphics file for each one, and then click on "update all." In other words, I'm always looking to save time and being able to bulk update is always a time saver. In my case, publishers provide the graphics files (20,000 or so), and all are named after the catalog number of the book, so I know the correct name of the missing graphics file based on the ccode. This would obviously not be the case with other web sites, but is undoubtedly the case with sites where the products and images are provided by a manufacturer, publisher.

I also noticed that several of the currently reported Missing Images are linked to products which no longer exist (category deleted). Or, there are products that in retrospect I don't even care about as they are outdated for some reason. So, it would be helpful to have a "delete this product" checkbox as an option.

In some cases, I have a product line that does not have graphics. I then use/make a picture, and display this for each one of the products, say, 500 products in one category will have this exact same .gif file to display. -- What would be neat, is if it were possible to have a javascript where I could type in the name of this particular file (e.g., sikorskibook.gif) in a text box at the top of the page, and then click an "add this image to all below listed products" or "add this image to all selected below" and then with one click, I could have all of the missing product images fixed in one swoop (so to speak) instead of pasting and pasting and pasting the same file name over and over. Don't know if something like this is even possible, but it sure would be helpful!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00