Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Suggestions for future release
 Breadcrumbs, aka "Category trail"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - April 16 2004 :  20:22:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please make the breadcrumbs show up on all site pages and operate as is conventional:

<yourdomain>.com --> Category 1 --> Sub Category 1.1 --> Current sub-category

This is also known as the "Structural Navigation bar" and is referred to by VP-ASP support as the "Category trail"

The last crumb is the name of the level currently being viewed and is not a hyperlink. The user can't click it because they are already on that page! Clicking any other item in the trail takes the user to that level, as expected. So, if they click on "Category 1," they get a view of a listing of all the sub-categories under Category 1, including Sub Category 1.1.

See http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=547 for other designer's similar views on this.

I've done much of this myself on my own site by hacking the ASP code with some guidance from support. However, I don't yet have it working on all pages. I do have it on shopdisplayproducts.asp, but adding it to the extended products page is tricky. I know that having it on shopdisplayproducts is already planned for VP-ASP version 5.5, but I don't know that these other improvements are planned.

The store admin should also have an option to disable the berad breadcrumb display entirely if they find that it is not useful for their audience. For example, if they only have one or two layers of categories, they may feel it does not add enough info and is just a distraction.

Some references for standard Breadcrumb usability:
http://www.usabilityfirst.com/glossary/main.cgi?function=display_term&term_id=786
http://www.evolt.org/article/Breadcrumbs_for_the_sake_of_Users/4090/4483/

Nathan

CHAVOUSA
VP-CART New User

USA
86 Posts

Posted - August 17 2004 :  10:29:50  Show Profile  Visit CHAVOUSA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can you share the code you have to all users here in the forum? Maybe we can all come up with something that can be used in the whole website as a standard.

Go to Top of Page

Dulrr
VP-CART New User

57 Posts

Posted - August 17 2004 :  10:56:41  Show Profile  Visit Dulrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This Thread in the Customization forum already has such a beast, and includes links to other solutions as well (some of which looked like cleaner fixes than my own, but I believe they all get the job done)

~D
Go to Top of Page

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - March 09 2005 :  15:49:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update on this suggestion:

This was incorporated into Version 5.5 and works well. Thanks Support!

(Since I had already developed my own solution to this, I chose to keep my code rather than using the code in the 5.5 cart, but the 5.5 cart breadcrumbs do work well)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00