Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Add-ons for VP-ASP
 Login Integration made easy!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JohnnySlotCar
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - September 24 2003 :  17:26:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is to integrate with existing login systems, you'll need to build an ASP page or two to do this...

VPASP seems to look for a session variable called 'login' to validate that someone is logged in. The variable stores the customers last name.

Since VPASP stores everything in session variables anyway, just have your existing login system create session variables called firstname, lastname, address, city, state, country, phone, workphone when your customer logs in and populate them with the correct info.

Then, create 1 more session variable called login and populate it with the customers last name. Once this is done, a customer can effortlessly glide over to your store 'pre-logged in'.

Unless you are a database integration expert, the easiest way to keep your customer tables synchronized is to create an asp script that updates the VPASP customer table whenever a change is made to your existing customer database. You must then DISABLE (by commenting out) any reference to the profile update, login and registration pages in VPASP and rely on your existing system for that functionality. The only 'gotcha' is the shopcustomer.asp. Since it appears (be default) toward the end of the checkout process, you'll need to figure out how to approach that on your own.
I say this because it offers the customer the opportunity to 'correct' their info before completing checkout. I suggest just displaying the customers info (read only) on that page, and if they need to make a change, pointing them back to you existing profile maintenance page. As long as the session variables aren't destroyed, the customer can return from that page to continue checkout.

On my site, I display the customers info to them before they begin shopping. Since I only take PayPal I have an extra level of security since PayPal typically has the customers shipping info anyway.

Anyway, not that tough if you are a ASP jockey. I'm mid level at best and I did it in an afternoon. VPASP is going to create the sessions anyway, I'm just suggesting you create them ahead of time.

I see a ton of folks asking this question here and have never seen a satisfactory answer to it yet. I'm sure there's 'a better way' but it can't be that much better.

By the way - I'm not a 'pissed off guy' - just particularly frustrated with VPASP today.

Later.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00