Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Making Cart Run Faster
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rnp
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - September 03 2014 :  01:13:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Folks,

we have a cart that is running 7.01, it is nearly 10 years old and has a stack of redundancy in it. The productcategories table is bloated beyond all sence, and we now have over 1.3 million entries in the products table.

Our problem is that the cart is slowing down. Unfortunately we have a stack of mods that are critical to us, so upgrading and changing is not something i am enjoying thinking about. The site is damn busy so downtime is also a tough one.

Does anyone have any tips & tricks on how to clean unused tables etc, how to remove entries from prodcategories table without loosing categories on live products (ie: is there some way to flag product by the last date they were active, and then remove the entries in the prodcat table when the product itself it deleted?) - simply doing a search on the site is taking an unreasonable amount of time. Are these searches building up in a table too?

We are facing some big issues if we cant get this one sorted.

any help will be greatly appreciated and actual solutions will be put in my will for when i become wealthy (if i dont pass from stress at running a busy ecom site first).

Thanks everyone!

Tony

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - September 08 2014 :  08:04:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tony,

if you want to see all the entries in your prodcategories table which no longer relate to any records in the products table you can run the following query (without the space in S ELECT)

S ELECT prodcategories.id, prodcategories.intcategoryid, prodcategories.intcatalogid
FROM prodcategories LEFT JOIN products ON prodcategories.[intcatalogid] = products.[catalogid]
WHERE (((products.catalogid) Is Null));

(you may need to modify the wording depending on the type of database your site uses)

This result can then be used to create a table for a sql delete function.
Create the new table in your database (I called it BadProducts) and then run the following query

DELETE * FROM prodcategories
WHERE intcatalogid in (S ELECT DISTINCT intcatalogid FROM BadProducts);

No more redundant records in the prodcategories table.

As for the search table - check in cart setup that you have save xsearchcapture set to No

Hope this helps.
Any questions, just ask :)

Regards,
Carrol
www.deanston-electrical.co.uk

Edited by - carfin on September 08 2014 08:44:34
Go to Top of Page

serjtankian
VP-CART Super User

Armenia
378 Posts

Posted - September 18 2014 :  09:50:43  Show Profile  Visit serjtankian's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@rnp

what''s your store dbms? sql or access? if you''re using access, compacting database would help also

*serj*
Go to Top of Page

diegomilito
VP-CART Expert

Argentina
779 Posts

Posted - September 20 2014 :  05:37:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have no idea how to clean prodcat records that are unused... but my tip to speed up your cart, perhaps disable the left categories flyout menu or dropdowns, dont use them. control and change them via layout manager.
i was also using 701 version in past and when i upgraded to 702 a bit faster.
maybe you can try.
diego.
Go to Top of Page

Mark Priest
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
580 Posts

Posted - September 25 2014 :  16:49:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our cart was running slow, loading the orders page would take about 10 seconds. Moved it to a quadcore server with 9GB of ram and now it''s like lightning!

Regards,

Mark
[URL="http://www.fireworkscrazy.co.uk"]Fireworks For Sale[/URL]
Go to Top of Page

diegomilito
VP-CART Expert

Argentina
779 Posts

Posted - September 29 2014 :  23:50:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mark, are the hardware upgrade cost a lot ??
diego
Go to Top of Page

serjtankian
VP-CART Super User

Armenia
378 Posts

Posted - November 28 2014 :  03:52:03  Show Profile  Visit serjtankian's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i think it cost a lot, quadcore with 9 GB ram.. very nice if you use it only for your store

*serj*
Go to Top of Page

manilow
VP-CART New User

France
134 Posts

Posted - November 28 2014 :  04:28:53  Show Profile  Visit manilow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I suppose it makes sense to optimize before opting for more power. To avoid excessive memory usage, it''s very important to recycle the ASP application pool frequently, every hour for example. Another way is to specify a maximum of memory usage.

Then, to avoid loss of customer shopping carts when the application pool recycles, it''s also recommanded to save the session values in the database (xsavesession set to yes).

Erik
www.aquathermia.com
Go to Top of Page

serjtankian
VP-CART Super User

Armenia
378 Posts

Posted - November 28 2014 :  05:33:19  Show Profile  Visit serjtankian's Homepage  Reply with Quote
this article will help you configure how to configure Periodic Restart Settings for Application Pool Recycling <periodicRestart>

http://www.iis.net/configreference/system.applicationhost/applicationpools/add/recycling/periodicrestart

but i think this might usefull when you running your own server

*serj*
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00