Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Electronic Gateways
 Surprising results following gateway change !!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bluesky
VP-CART Super User

304 Posts

Posted - July 10 2014 :  08:48:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is just some information for you to mull over , about 8/9 years ago i was working with nochex as my gateway , then Worldpay , it was the MOST secure , well known and trusted , however after a few years i installed paypal and it had an INSTANT effect , sales jumped 20-30% .. GREAT !!

All was well for many years and things settled down ..
and the cart was offering 3 options to customer
Worldpay : accounted for about 70% of transactions
Paypal : accounted for about 30% of transactions
Nochex : Literally 1 or 2 transactions a year

The last couple of years had seen a rapid decline in mail order sales , in the region of 80% over previous years
so i started experimenting and changing , and at one point NOCHEX was the top gateway on one of the sites , instead of the third down i put it first , and i was surprised people seemed to be using it !!

SURPRISE ***
Ok to my mind people loved and trusted worldpay , but it seems they have no view on worldpay , they simply choose the TOP gateway offered
SURPRISE ***

So here i am six months later i have converted all the sites to offer NOCHEX first then , paypal , then worldpay , and worldpay became used so little , i have now dropped worldpay
and only offer nochex and paypal

WHY : ? nochex have no monthyl fee and cheaper fees

I have taken things slowly , experimenting over multiple sites , but a year ago i would never have expected to not be running worldpay

( as my sales had dropped so much in recent years , worldpay transaction fees had increased and they became a third more expensive than nochex + a monthly fee )

I have also REALLY SURPRISINGis there is less abandoned carts

So with this information i hope you go and experiment !!

Incidently nochex now currently accounts for MORE transactions than paypal thru mu sites which i just cant get my head around !

bluesky
VP-CART Super User

304 Posts

Posted - July 10 2014 :  08:54:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ohhh , i should add at one point i was offering customers ONLY PAYPAL to pay , and this resulted in abandoned carts and less sales

There is i feel still a hardcore of people out there who have heard and believe very negative things about paypal which means they will do anything to avoid signing up or giving their details to their system so one of the things i learned is that you really need to offer at least two gateways in your cart

Giving people the optios seems to increase sales
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - July 11 2014 :  00:08:22  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi bluesky,

These are some extremely interesting findings.

It is well documented that having PayPal as an additional payment option boosts sales more often than not, but as you have discovered, you always need to have the option to pay by credit card, especially if your target market are of an older demographic who are less likely to have a PayPal account.

In regards to people choosing between Nochex and World Pay, I really think this would have been down to whichever one is at the top as opposed to them having a personal preference. Most on-line shoppers don''t even know what a payment gateway is, they just see ''pay by credit card'' and think it''s that simple.

I would love to take a look at your site(s) to see if there is any advice I can offer in regard to your conversion / abandoned cart rates, free of charge of course :)

Thank you

Gareth
VP-ASP Support

Go to Top of Page

diegomilito
VP-CART Expert

Argentina
779 Posts

Posted - July 17 2014 :  03:55:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bluesky, do you know or heard if NOCHEX gateway is available for my country (in argentina) . do you have their site link ?
i want to ask them more, your topic sounds good to me.
diego.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00