Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Cross Selling Adding a Product
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

johnhardy
Starting Member

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - August 23 2008 :  11:10:31  Show Profile  Visit johnhardy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I go to
Products
View Edit products

I notice all products are listed for Cross Selling

Is there any way of limiting the number of items in the list or sorting them in some way
Many Thanks
John

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - August 23 2008 :  15:22:52  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't think there is, but when we implement cross-selling on sites which have more than around 50 products we don't use the standard cross-selling list because it's unmanageable; instead we use our cross-selling addon, and we specify the ccodes in one of the spare "pother" columns instead, see:

http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=101

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

johnhardy
Starting Member

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - August 24 2008 :  05:52:03  Show Profile  Visit johnhardy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Simon,
I am trying to get familiar with VPASP and decide whether I wish to use it in future as my standard cart. I will progress exploring the standard items some more before making decisions about addons. I am in two minds at the moment between VPASP and WA ecart.
VPASP is much more complete with excellent admin but lacks the visual aspect and perhaps flexibility in Dreamweaver of WA ecart.
Regards
John
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - August 24 2008 :  14:49:21  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
what I like most about vpasp is the fact that it's open source, and you can basically do whatever you want with the code, so that if there's something that someone needs which it can't do by default, it can usually be tweaked as a customisation or a generic addon can be used (or a combination).

if you do end up going for vpasp, and you have a question/problem, it's always worth posting on the forum before spending too much of your own time on it, because vpasp has been around for ages so chances are someone else has already got the answer somewhere.

likewise, if you see something that you think's missing, ask a question on the forum, because it might already be there and you can't see it due to config options, or it might be available off the shelf somewhere.

A few extra addons and a bit of minor customisation can often completely transform it; my personal favourites at the moment are our keyword tools addon (BYZ119, which helps generate/enhance product/category keywords by using your existing data as the source), and our paging/searching addon (BYZ116)

Some of these kind of things are the equivalent of several man-months worth of customisation, all boiled down to a generic off-the-shelf bit of kit that's often less than the cost of half an hour's customisation/development cost.

generally, if in doubt, ask; this forum's a very friendly place; lots of people here will help.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

johnhardy
Starting Member

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - August 24 2008 :  15:22:58  Show Profile  Visit johnhardy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Simon,
I will have a good crack at VPASP thats for certain and I agree the friendly support from already users is remarkable.
Go to Top of Page

Driftmaster
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - August 26 2008 :  22:21:43  Show Profile  Visit Driftmaster's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This brings me to a related topic, accessories for a main product. I'm selling various electronics (point-of-sale) and some printers, for example, do not come with the power supply. Others do. Some printers have a USB interface or a serial or parallel interface. And, if they're purchasing a printer, will they need receipt paper or ribbons with that printer? I want to be able to give my customer the option of purchasing those related items and be able to have a link to those related items on the main product's page.

Is there a way to add products which are related? Thank you!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00