Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Suggestions for future release
 Suggestions for future release wanted
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - October 24 2002 :  02:11:01  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We are looking for suggestions for future release of VP-ASP. We have reviewed most of the things in the forum and are evaluating them for inclusion.

The original design tried to separate HTML from logic using shop$colors.asp. If you think there is a better way to separate HTML from logic, we are looking for such a suggestion.

If you think other carts have features missing in VP-ASP, we would like to know that.

You can write to us directly at or use the forum for your ideas. If you have code you want to share and be included please send it to us or let us know what you have.

Howard Kadetz
VP-ASP

There is no release date for a new version of VP-ASP at this time.

john_kaufman
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - July 28 2003 :  19:41:03  Show Profile  Visit john_kaufman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Inventory control by size. I currently have to list every size of a single model as a separate item ;-(

Go to Top of Page

Joshp97
Starting Member

USA
32 Posts

Posted - July 30 2003 :  16:53:41  Show Profile  Visit Joshp97's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark,
I rewrote the navigation piece to include subcategories just like you have described it. I have probably given it to 10 people on this forum. If you would like it, email me.

http://www.HQgear.com
Online customization and ordering of Promotional Products!
Fast & Easy! Best Prices online!
Go to Top of Page

bpwilldo
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - August 03 2003 :  09:16:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to see the ability to display "In Stock?" - "Yes or No" on a per item basis. Also, the "Yes" or "No" could be any phrase one wishes. This would also coincide with the ability to allow backorders or not on a per item basis. Ideally, one could show inventory for closeout items and display the "Yes" or "No" for others, for example.

Another thing would be to validate custom shipping fields against a table.
Go to Top of Page

Jbob
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - December 05 2003 :  18:40:53  Show Profile  Visit Jbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
(((((((Shipping Rate Calculator)))))))
I have a lot of customers calling to ask for the shipping rates prior to their order. So for them to have that information beforehand would eliminate that step. I use UPS realtime (which works perfectly) and customers generally do complete their order while they're on the phone with me since the shipping rates are reasonable.

(((Top Ten)))
I sell wire by the foot and the top ten makes people think that I have sold thousands of the same item. Worse yet is that it is by the quanity of the order so I could have multible listings of the same thing showing up several times, like wireX 200, wireX 500 and so forth.

(((Suggestion Page)))
Have a page in the Customer Service area where on-line shoppers can leave their suggestions to the merchant.
Multi-purpose uses; merchant can improve their shop to meet their shoppers needs and the developers can add new features based on the shoppers suggestions.

(((Admin Sales Reports)))
Expand the sales reports from | Year | Month | Orders | Total |
to include {Cost | Profit} totals. We know how much we sold but we don't know how much we made.. is the point to this.

Go to Top of Page

snayar
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - December 05 2003 :  19:42:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Built-in ability to use a dual server, clustering or server redundancy setup.

Go to Top of Page

Jill
VP-CART Super User

USA
249 Posts

Posted - December 06 2003 :  03:31:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ability to add new functions to customized older versions without having to start all over again (and again and again)!!!

I'm having these things done for my site, but I think other people could use them as well:

--Payment reports for affiliates.

--Sales reports and payment reports for suppliers.

--A "regular" wishlist, which would be one list per customer, and could be added to from the product page, rather than having to add an item to the cart first.

--Printer friendly page for "print this order to fax or mail" page (can't think of the name of it).

--Order tracking page could show shipping info, like date shipped, method of shipment, tracking number, for customer.

Plus about a million other things - I'll be back

Jill

Go to Top of Page

Jill
VP-CART Super User

USA
249 Posts

Posted - December 06 2003 :  03:32:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoa! I thought that was a new post from support asking for suggestions.

Jill

Go to Top of Page

uksports
Starting Member

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - December 13 2003 :  17:46:06  Show Profile  Visit uksports's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1. EU Cookie Regs Compliance

All EU sites now have to warn customers when and how cookies are used on site - would be nice to have an automatic way of letting people know cookies are required for shopsavecart.asp, gift registry etc.

2. Change the use of id=? to somethingelse=?

Many people depend on Google for traffic, and Google does not spider any string with id=? in it, but will spider other strings such as mydog=?

Problem being would be existing links from search engines would then fail, so the logic would have to written so that id=? and mydog=? both work until the engines have updated and spidered the new structure.

Better still, do away with the id=? structure and have inbuilt function to re-write query as per mod-rewrite in linux to produce more easily spiderable pages.

3. Better inbuilt cookie detection and notification (and write to log?) if cookies not enabled on users computer.

4. Update the credit card checking functions of shopvalidatecreditcards.asp - the standard set rejects many valid cards, including all the UK based cards such as switch, solo etc.

5. Inbuilt support for WorldPay FuturePay recurring billing

6. E-mail every time admin login is used or attempted, succesful or not (to let know if admin has been compromised without checking manually)

7. Recently viewed products listings as per Amazon

8. Complete visual overhaul of customer/affiliate login and usage areas - now looks really clunky

9. Better inbuilt searching so that a search for kids books returns just kids books not all of kids and all of books

10. Proper breadcrumb navigation for categories so that Books>Kids>Harry Potter type navigation is available

11. Standard implementation of SSL at shopcustomer.asp not shopcheckout.asp - it can be done now, but involves some pain such as non-SSL product images being called at shopcreateorder.asp etc (if option on of course)

12. When adding products using an existing product as a template, the resulting new product is not immediately editable if a mistake as made as the cart is still in session on the parent page, which makes it really easy to ruin the parent page if you forget this.

13. Inbuilt P3P editor and implementation would be nice!

14. Look at using cookies instead of sessions - too many people flick around the screen using browser back/forward buttons rather than inbuilt navigation which can really screw the session state.

15. When an error occurs on shopcustomer such as incorrect password etc, the shipping type selection is reset as well which people sometimes don't notice.

16. When using country based shipping, it is easy for people to select an incorrect shipping mode for the country (whether deliberately or not) as all the cart does is add an error message to shopcreateorder.asp but still allows the order to progress - it should go back to shopcustomer with an error message

There is more but I've run out of time for now!

Go to Top of Page

uksports
Starting Member

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - December 13 2003 :  17:54:54  Show Profile  Visit uksports's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oops, forgot the two most important - and another one

1. Proper currency conversion so that the whole cart updates to new currency rather than the current dual display option - tried that, and for instance, displaying £UK and $US together makes all UK customers think you are US based and won't order off you (we are UK based)

2. Shipping cost/tax preview, either as a pop-up or inbuilt so that customers can see their total cost at any time of the ordering process rather than having to wait until they have filled in their details.

3. Minimum spend on discount codes/gift vouchers i.e. £5 off on £50 spend etc (I know that can be done by shopdiscount but this is for promotional uses)

Edited by - uksports on December 13 2003 17:59:47
Go to Top of Page

bretneal
Starting Member

USA
46 Posts

Posted - December 19 2003 :  14:22:16  Show Profile  Visit bretneal's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Setting in products so that merchant can require adult signature for a specific product (ie wine, beer) and that the extra "shipping" fees can be chareged in the final price if such items exist in an order.

Go to Top of Page

BAdkins
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - December 29 2003 :  03:54:16  Show Profile  Visit BAdkins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The whole user login thing is only half baked. It needs to be a comprehensive solution.

You ignore the checkbox to not be auto logged on, and you also don't remember the selections for that and the mailing list. Those 2 items are always checked, and require the user to always "un-check" them.

You need to have a separate ship-to and billing address for each customer. In fact you need to be able to save multiple ship-to and billing addresses and associate them with a particular credit card.

The whole payment gateway thing is also half baked. It just barely gets the job done and does not really integrate with the whole site... it's just out there on its own. I'd like my Verisign gateway solution to work just like the non-gateway credit card payment method.

I've done some customization of these things on my own, but I've not done anything too extensive because I don't want to have to do so much work every time a new version comes out. I'd really just like to use it as-is.

-Barry Adkins

Go to Top of Page

keng
VP-CART New User

152 Posts

Posted - July 18 2004 :  20:11:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My request is simple: If there is "Login" why not "Log Out"? instead of "Start as new user"?

Shouldn't it be as simple as that?

Go to Top of Page

Tmcmillan
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - July 21 2004 :  09:16:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UPS and FedEx Real time shipping for international sites.

I have had many problems trying to implement a shipping rate solution for an international site, such as a company who has a division in the US and one in Europe. Having a tested tool and good documentation on using that tool for international sites shipping UPS and FedEx would be great!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00