Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Access versus SQL Database
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

[email protected]
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - October 07 2002 :  10:48:16  Show Profile  Visit gregmy@justartpottery.com's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

We are getting ready to upgrade our cart and I am interested in opinions regarding the need to upgrade our database from an Access database to SQL database. Any thoughts? Special hosting concerns? Database backup issues? Site stability concerns?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg Myroth

Troy
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - January 23 2003 :  14:43:05  Show Profile  Visit Troy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to convert from Access to SQL and have hit the same road block, field charactor length. Has anyone come up with a fix that doesn't involve programming? Any help will ge greatlt appreciated.

Go to Top of Page

williamj
VP-CART New User

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - January 23 2003 :  19:18:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as I know an SQL text field can hold over a billion characters. It should be fairly simple to change the extended description field to a text field if you have direct access to the SQL database. Varchar fields can hold up to 8000 characters which should be plenty of space for the other fields.

I don't know if changing the fields to accept large blocks of text will have any effect on the perfomance of the SQL database. What I mean for example is if you set the description field to accept 8000 characters when you will be only using 50 - 100 characters. Maybe someone with more experience with SQL can expand on this subject.

Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - January 23 2003 :  20:30:04  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have found that ntext fields do not work properly when using VP-ASP. Just like memo fields in Access, Microsoft has made ntext fields very restrictive.

If a field is made ntext or text, VP-ASP may start having unpredictable results which we will not support.

Large extended descriptions can be handled differently. The templates support include files if you create a detailed description and create an html file out of it you can add this to your template

[field=extendedesc include]

This will look in field extendeddesc (it can be any field in products table). If it finds a value it treats it as a file name and will include the file at that point.

Howard Kadetz
VP-ASP

Go to Top of Page

Jill
VP-CART Super User

USA
249 Posts

Posted - February 15 2004 :  20:11:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone come up with a different solution to this problem? I'd like to go to SQLServer, but with over 45,000 products, I don't think the include files would work for me.

Thanks, Jill

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00