Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Add Random Products in Content Pages
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

slapolice
Starting Member

Canada
8 Posts

Posted - October 18 2007 :  10:12:58  Show Profile  Visit slapolice's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello,
I want to add randomproducts into pages that are not the default main page. Actually, we build our pages with the content manager that allow us to copy/paste the HTML and the add a translation. But, we are trying to add random produtcs in to these pages without success.

We could duplicate some files and re-program the code, but we believe there is a much more easy way!? Is "main page" the only place to have random products or top-sellers?

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - October 18 2007 :  15:45:48  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
are they truly random products that you want to display on the content pages, or are they intended to be context-sensitive? (ie random, but the random ones only picked from a pool of products which are relevant to the content page)

Also, whereabouts on the content pages do you want them to appear? at the top/bottom of the central panel, or on a side panel, or within the actual message-text itself?

Here are some addons we've got which might help out:

VP-ASP Product Showcase (Enhanced FrontPage) Functions:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=105

VP-ASP Content Management Enhancements:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=125

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

slapolice
Starting Member

Canada
8 Posts

Posted - October 18 2007 :  15:57:27  Show Profile  Visit slapolice's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello.
Actually, I have a lot of t-shirts, for example, and want to show them randomly on a page. So, context-sensitive, using a field like "keywords", for example. Also, I want these random products to appear where I want and we MUST be able to translate everything.

We do not have only one "front page". We have the 1st front page (the front page!!) and 6 other front pages for our DVDs, Clothes, Books, CDs, etc... And we need a front page for all these sections, in french and english, and we really need to show random products because it sells... especially when you have over 4000 products.

We can easily do it in regular ASP language, but have some troubles with the VP ASP special language.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - October 18 2007 :  16:42:12  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ok; I think the tricky element is getting random products displayed within a content value itself rather than just somewhere within the content page generally (and the context-sensitive bit)

there are lots of different ways of doing it, but if it were me I think I'd bypass the contents being in the database, and hard-code the contents inside static asps, and put if statements inside it for each language. then, when showing random products, I'd use our showcase addon because it can be called in any part of any asp/panel in any format for any criteria (ie all those parameters are on a per-call basis rather than globally set)

I guess that means that in your case you'd have 7 static pages, with each one split-in 2 for each of the languages, but it'll be more flexible than using content data.

a perfect solution would be if you could place asp inside the content data, and then do something like embed the showcase function call within the content data, but I don't think that'd be possible without some pretty heavy customisation.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on October 18 2007 16:46:38
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000