Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Add-ons for VP-ASP
 DHL Real Time Shipping API Integration?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aalbitz
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - July 16 2007 :  16:00:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How can I integrate the DHL ShipIT real-time shipping API into VP-ASP, without using the Intershipper code/add-on?

ymsmike
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - October 10 2007 :  13:08:31  Show Profile  Visit ymsmike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll Bump this, because I do not use UPS, and the rates that UPS uses are too high compared to what I get through DHL. If I use the UPS calculator for VP-ASP, my customers are REAMED in shipping costs.
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - October 10 2007 :  22:04:07  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

Have a look at the Intershipper module. i believe they support DHL.

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

joe_dejesus
Starting Member

USA
14 Posts

Posted - February 05 2008 :  07:03:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Why doesnt VPASP just create a module like they have done for UPS/FEDEX/USPS..

I see no need to pay Intershipper for that option.

Or maybe bigyellowzone can pick up the slack and sell a DHL module.

Joe
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - February 05 2008 :  07:29:13  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I guess we could do a dhl module, but shipping modules are notoriously complex (it took us about 2 or 3 man-weeks to do a royalmail one, and they become out of date very quickly) so unless we already had one in our library from a previous job that we could turn into a "sponsored" addon (ie with the original client getting paid a slice of the sales) it'd be quite an expensive thing to do from our point of view, and probably not worth doing unless there was a pretty big demand for it or unless it was priced very very expensive.
having said that, after we release a pending new version of our asp-generator we'll have a bit of spare time on the addon front, so I'll look at the dhl specs then.

if anyone else wants a dhl module, then post here or let us know; it'd be interesting to get an idea of how many people would like one.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on February 05 2008 07:30:14
Go to Top of Page

cayars
Starting Member

USA
49 Posts

Posted - February 06 2008 :  07:55:42  Show Profile  Visit cayars's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would love to have this! FedEx and UPS cause me to lose sales due to their higher costs!

Carlo
Go to Top of Page

aalbitz
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - February 06 2008 :  09:39:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I would still be interested in this!

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

brianmj
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - June 05 2008 :  02:54:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We'd also be interested in the DHL Module! Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

cayars
Starting Member

USA
49 Posts

Posted - June 06 2008 :  00:11:24  Show Profile  Visit cayars's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't it be possible to modify the UPS Database Lookup module and populate the database with DHL data?

I would think this would work.

Maybe if we all mention what zone we're in we could split up the work a bit to get it working.
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - June 06 2008 :  05:01:36  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We've decided to code-up a dhl realtime lookup addon for vpasp seeing as nobody else seems to want to do it and there does seem a genuine interest in it.

We want to structure it in a way that it can be plugged-in in conjunction with other shipping modules; there's one problem with shipping addons in vpasp, in that it's very hard to combine the modules together, and we want to address that at the same time.

eg, say you want fedex and ups as options, but you want to put all those into a single poplist/radio-group so that people don't have to choose "ups" or "fedex" before getting the sub-prices/options, instead they just get a single "shipping options" page which has the full list of all the relevant ups and fedex options/prices in one go.

So, we're looking at creating a new central shipping module where you can then plug-in other shipping types/modules into it and get them all combined together.

It's quite a big project, but we're already about 2/3rds of the way through and it's looking good so far. The first set of "combinable" ones will be fedex, ups, and dhl, then we'll add more as time goes on.

This "combine" aspect has been a problem for years, so we thought we'd step in and see if we can do something to commonise the general underlying logic and to avoid conflicts between the variables/functions/files etc.

I think it'll work in a similar way to our byz033 addon (additional template fields) in that it'll be a central set of functions/tools where any given shipping carrier can then have its logic added to the generic flow but without conflicts; it definitely needs centralising/commonising when it comes to the overall flow. That's how we deal with template-related addons; all our addons which are template-fields use the same/core byz033 addon so that it's all nice and central and easy to spot/change/combine and add new ones etc.

I think we're looking at a release towards the end of june for this.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com

Edited by - devshb on June 06 2008 05:15:24
Go to Top of Page

saki
VP-CART New User

82 Posts

Posted - June 06 2008 :  08:45:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While you are at it, solve the PayPal pro issue. Realtime interfaces by VPASP will not let PayPal pro work.
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - June 06 2008 :  11:00:17  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There must be some kind of conflict in the variables/functions I guess, which doesn't surprise me because the variables/functions are pretty generic and can easily conflict on the existing shipping addons especially if you have more than one.

I didn't know that a shipping addon could conflict with a payment addon though; do you have any more details about why that happens? feel free to email me a zip of the relevant files if you want; I'd be interested in seeing why they conflict because it could impact on how we finalise the structure of the final addon.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Go to Top of Page

saki
VP-CART New User

82 Posts

Posted - June 06 2008 :  11:37:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All quotes from support....

"Unfortunately you will not be able to use real time shipping with Paypal Pro, however you will be able to use Paypal IPN with real time shipping."

http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7023&SearchTerms=paypal,shipping

Edited by - saki on June 06 2008 11:45:48
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00