Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Displaying Categories and Subs on homepage
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

steff
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - June 19 2007 :  15:29:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello All,

I searched but could find what i needed, so hear is another question.

We would like to create 4 main categores that display on the store homepage which have their child subcategories displayed underneath them to make our navigation system. it would look something like this.

Products
Product 1
Product 2
Product 3

Sports
Sport 1
Sport 2
Sport 3

General
General 1
General 2

Closeouts
Closeout 1
Closeout 2

Is there a way to do this through the structure of the category table. And then get the asp page to display them dynamically? I can hard code the options into the shoppage_header.htm page, but would like to keep it dynamic.

Not sure what to do to edit the category box to display other category fields???

<!-- START CATEGORY BOX --> <h2><%=getlang("langcommoncategories")%></h2>
<%NavigateShowCategoriesStyled%>
<!-- END CATEGORY BOX -->

Hope this makes sense. If i need to clarify anything please let me know.

thanks in advance.

cheers,
steff

bravowear
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - July 11 2007 :  00:57:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I asked this same question, here's what VPASP support had to say about it:

"[7/8/2007 1:57:00 AM - support12]
Hello,

You can only use the categories tag [FORMATIMAGE SUB] , [FORMATHYPERLINKS] and [AddNumberSubCats] on shopdisplaycategories.asp only as the code to process the tags is located in shopdisplayategories.asp.

If you wish to use it on other pages, you will need to copy the required code to your own custom pages. Code modification will also be required as some of the required variables is still located in shopdisplaycategories.asp.

Unfortunately this issue falls outside of our standard support offering as it requires a lot of code modifications.

We do however offer a a reasonably priced, high-quality customization service, and we would be happy to provide you with a quote for getting your shop functioning exactly as you need it to.

Please let us know if you would like us to forward your request on to our development team to provide a quote for this functionality.

Thank you.

Regards,
Frankie Taslim"
Go to Top of Page

steff
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - July 11 2007 :  11:31:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the response.

I had a feeling it was ging to be a "pay to play" situation. I'll start hacking the code and if i find out anything, i'll send you the modification.

cheers,
steff
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - July 11 2007 :  13:28:37  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if you want to have a function created which will display sub-category links for a given categoryid, then it's relatively simple/quick/easy; we've done it loads of times before, and using something like our byz033 (extra-template-fields) package you can call it from a category template too.

The precise logic (eg whether it links to sub-categories, products, or either/both depending on the next level etc) will vary from site to site, as would the display format so it's usually a custom-built thing.

But, although it's a custom-built thing it's pretty quick/easy to do, especially as lots of vpasp developers already have the base functions for that kind of thing in their own internal libraries; it's usually just a question of pulling it out the library, tweaking it a bit, and then plugging it in, which I think is what Frankie is talking about.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on July 11 2007 13:29:57
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000