Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-ASP 6.50 Features and Facilities
 New VPASP Patch Upgrade: VPASP 6.50.1
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

goshen
VP-CART New User

132 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  06:13:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Admin,
For the benefit of those of us that have done some customization with our existing VPASP 6.50, can you please identify the files that have undergone any significant changes and possibly what those changes are in v6.50.1, so we don't have to re-install/override all of our existing customization. The Readme.txt does not list the changes/updates.

It will be a wasted effort and money paid for various customizations, if we have to start all over again.

Thanks for your anticipated and quick response

dwight
VP-CART New User

USA
143 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  07:24:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I concur. Please list benefits and what files are affected. All of my upgrades end up leaving starting from the beginning.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Peter
VP-CART New User

125 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  07:49:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not a coder myself, but Winmerge (www.winmerge.org) has helped me heaps in situations like this.

Winmerge could help answer your question above fairly quickly. All you would need to do is compare a folder containing the original VPASP 6.50 files against a folder with the VPASP 6.50.1 files. Winmerge will then give you a list of files that are identical, files only in one of the folders, and then importantly files that do contain changes (that you can then eaisly compare).

You can then compare each file that has changes against your current files, hopefully allowing you to spot what is a custom modification and what is a VPSAP update.

I hope it helps :)

Edited by - Peter on May 31 2007 07:50:50
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  10:26:04  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

We have a change listing you can view at:

https://www.vpasp.com/helpnotes/shopexd.asp?id=880#880

And Peter is certinaly correct in his suggestion. Winmerge is invaluable when upgrading versions.

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

dwight
VP-CART New User

USA
143 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  12:54:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks
Go to Top of Page

stone5150
VP-CART New User

USA
186 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  15:51:08  Show Profile  Visit stone5150's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just bought VPASP a few months ago, I got (I assume) the latest and greatest version.
Since there is no date on this page www.vpasp.com/sales/downloadupgrade.asp how do I know if I need this upgrade?
Where do I check version number?

Bob Stone
IT Manager TECH Inc
Network Consultant specializing in Windows Server, virus prevention/recovery, and Exchange.
Custom ASP, CSS, SHTML, and JavaScript scripting service available upon request

Edited by - stone5150 on May 31 2007 15:51:44
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  16:44:07  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dear Bob,

The version of VPASP you are currently using can be seen if you log into your administration pages. You will notice at the bottom of the administration home page there is a note detailing your current version.

Alternatively, this information is stored in the shop$version.asp file.

We have only just released the 6.50.1 upgrade this week so it is likely you will still have 6.50.0

Regards
Michael
VPASP SUPPORT
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  18:08:12  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm a bit confused; we're working on a site, and the shop$config.asp file says 6.50.1, but the shop$version.asp file says 6.50.0.1, and they're both taken from the same deluxe zip; is there any way to tell if we've got the right version/files?

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on May 31 2007 18:08:45
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  18:13:31  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Simon

The line in shop$version.asp should read 6.50.1, the extra ".0" is a typo.

Regards,
Claire
VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

jskv
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - June 01 2007 :  02:14:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought my licens over a year ago but upgraded to 6.50 within that year and now you want me to pay $$$ for corrections in the code that should have been in the 6.50 version from the beginning. After looking through the change list almost everything is error corrections or similar. I think you should let everyone that has the 6.50 version be able to get needed corrections for free and have pay for versions containing future extra feature stuff.

Since this upgrade doesn't contain any new features, -Please let all 6.50 version users get this upgrade for free.

Thanks / Johan
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - June 01 2007 :  02:32:14  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Johan,

We have a different upgrade model than some other suppliers of software. It is one that we think is much fairer than as well.

We offer our software for 12 months with free upgrades and full access to our wide range of downloads.

At the end of 12 months you can upgrade very cheaply to the latest version and receive full access for another 12 months.

This includes upgrades to new major releases.

Other vendors have their plans set so you can upgrade if minor upgrades are released however if a major upgrade is released you must purchase an upgrade. Even if you only purchased a few months before.

Using that system you would not have had access to the 650 release.

This is why we think our upgrade plan is much fairer than what is available elsewhere.

The upgrade is mostly minor changes and enhancements based on customer feedback. It is a minor one and realistically not required so it is up to you as to whether you install.

Thank you for understanding.

Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

goshen
VP-CART New User

132 Posts

Posted - June 01 2007 :  05:23:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very invaluable change log. thanks admin
Go to Top of Page

jskv
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - June 01 2007 :  05:31:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes you definitely have a different upgrade model, but sorry I do not agree with the rest you say. All suppliers I know about offers free correction/bug/security updates to all their software you pay for. It's of their concern and it's about trust.

Name one that doesn't except VPASP.

Yes I understand exactly what it's about. The way you say VPASP release new versions you can implement certain areas that need to be updated some months later and oops sorry this time you have to pay $$$. That is definitely not fair in my opinion...
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - June 01 2007 :  07:21:50  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ah; upgrade paths; yes, now there's a big/contentious topic!

We're relatively lucky because from our side (ie selling addons), the upgrade questions/problems that people might have with our stuff are infinitely easier to cater for than an entire shopping cart.

The main problem I think with any kind of upgrade is that on a new version there are both bug-fixes, and enhancements, and they're all rolled into one set of software, and it's incredibly hard to split them up (ie to get the bug fixes without the upgrade is often impossible).

So, it's a pretty generic problem with any merchant who sells software.

I think the best solution is to have a period of "grace" (ie like vpasp's 12 months) where you get any upgrades for free, and that after that period you can buy the upgrade files but at a much reduced price. I think it's the question of how long the grace period is, and how much the upgrade price is which is the stumbling block.

I also think that having a policy set in-stone is a good idea as a legal backup (ie so that the merchant doesn't get stung by having to offer free upgrades forever to everybody), but although the policy itself might be set in stone, individuals should still be given a chance to try and blag a free upgrade depending on their situation.

That's what we do anyway; we have a general policy for our own protection, but people can enter support tickets and try and blag a free upgrade if they don't think it'd be fair for them to pay in their situation.

The "let people blag a free upgrade" is a very big issue in my view. For example, our asp-generator addon was released quite a while ago, but for the next few versions we'll probably still be giving free upgrades I think, even though it's outside our official policy's time range. I think that new versions/software should have a chance to "settle" before upgrades are charged for. 12 months is quite a long time to "settle" though.

Something else that we do, which I think is a nice idea if you have a lot of addons, is we offer a "free upgrade to everything forever" option, where people can pay a fixed cost, and then they'll get free upgrades for all time for all our addons that they've ever bought or ever will buy:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=108

It's only worth it if you have more than a couple of addons, but it's a nice peace-of-mind to know that you'll never have to worry about the cost of upgrades ever again (that service only relates to our own addons though; not vpasp itself I'm afraid; you'd have to take that up with vpasp!)

We'll be automating/streamlining our upgrade-grabbing soon, but the "blag a free/cheap copy" will still be an intrinsic part of that; in my view people should always be able to explain their situation (upgrade traps etc) and get a sympathetic hearing.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com

Edited by - devshb on June 01 2007 07:41:57
Go to Top of Page

stone5150
VP-CART New User

USA
186 Posts

Posted - June 01 2007 :  09:14:55  Show Profile  Visit stone5150's Homepage  Reply with Quote
jskv,

You had to pay for the patch? Who'd you pay? It wasn't me, but it should have been. =o)

Actually I don't know of a company that doesn't charge for upgrades and enhancements. There are a lot of companies who sell software assurance programs where you pay a fee up front and get 'free' upgrades for a certain time period, but that is just paying up front, not free. Also, a lot compannies will give you the upgrade free if a new release comes out shortly after you purchase their product, but there is always a time limit on that.

Bob Stone
IT Manager TECH Inc
Network Consultant specializing in Windows Server, virus prevention/recovery, and Exchange.
Custom ASP, CSS, SHTML, and JavaScript scripting service available upon request

Edited by - stone5150 on June 01 2007 09:21:47
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - June 01 2007 :  10:53:43  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
norton's a classic example; I bought norton antivirus and after a month I realised it had a massive bug in it that stopped it from working, but a week or so after I bought it they released a new version, and they told me that I could only get a fix if I paid for the full upgrade (ie the fix was only available on the new version). no flexibility at all from them; it was a case of buy the upgrade or de-install it (no refund allowed either).

In the end I decided to go for a different anti-virus software instead and said goodbye to norton (which is a bad bit of kit anyway; it always causes problems).

so vpasp's policy is a lot better than something like those companies use.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com

Edited by - devshb on June 01 2007 10:55:21
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2
Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly