Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Suggestions for future release
 Different Menus
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - May 23 2007 :  16:40:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been using VP since the start of this year and find it great and overall much better than my old ecommerce software.

The one thing that my old software had that VP doesn't which I found really useful (and helped increase sales) was for each page or category to be assigned different menus.

For instance:

Category 1 may have menu A
Categories 2 and 4 may have menu B
Category 3 may have menu C

etc.

This is especially useful for clothing, so if a customer wants menswear they are shown a menswear menu, whereas if they want ladieswear, they are shown a ladieswear menu.

I'm sure the database side would be easy enough, just have another table that listed the menus available, then for each category have another field for the menu id.

The difficult part would implementing it into the pages.

If anyone out has already done this, then please let me know as I would be willing to pay someone to implement this.

I really feel that if this was included in VP it would make VP unbeatable.

Steve
www.clixgalore.co.uk/AffSelectProgram.aspx?AdvProgID=7911
www.temptationsdirect.co.uk

Edited by - Steve2507 on May 23 2007 16:40:43

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - May 23 2007 :  19:42:15  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the bit that you need which will show a different menu is relatively easy; the only awkward part is working out which category you're viewing .

If you've got our showcase tool (byz093), that'll already be setting up a variable for you which will hold the relevant categoryid for when you view categories, view product-summaries from category links, or view product details.

so, you'd just need to code-up a fairly simple function which would lookup your "menu" code of that categoryid and show the corresponding menu.

although the link below is an example for how to do it on our panel-splitter, the same logic/functions can be used if you don't use the panel splitter too:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/support/issue_view.asp?ID=9

the variable which the showcase addon sets up that holds the categoryid is:
xconfig_byz_showcase_products_categoryid

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  03:04:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Simon,

Thanks for the reply.

The problem is my asp programming is c**p, so really I need someone to either be able to tell me how to do it easily or be able to do it for us.

Steve
www.clixgalore.co.uk/AffSelectProgram.aspx?AdvProgID=7911
www.temptationsdirect.co.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00