Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Category menu not expanding
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

allegro
Starting Member

Australia
24 Posts

Posted - March 20 2007 :  23:43:17  Show Profile  Visit allegro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Can anyone point me in the right direction please? I would like the category menu on the left side to expand so that the subcategories not only show as breadcrumbs across the top of the page, but also as a list under the higher category on the left. I think my customers would be happy if they could move from subcategory to subcategory without always having to go back to the higher category.

I used to have this option in my previous version, but can't for the life of me find how to do it here.

Thanks for any assistance you can give.

Helene

Thanks,
Helene

LisaGriff
VP-CART New User

USA
90 Posts

Posted - March 25 2007 :  02:54:24  Show Profile  Visit LisaGriff's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe this will help -

From http://www.vpasp.com/helpnotes/shoptocdetail.asp?id=13&cat=Navigation

Change <%NavigateShowCategories%> in shoppage_header to

<%NavigateShowAllCategories%>

Shows a drop down list of all categories and subcategories. By selecting any one, the customer is automatically directed to products in that category.

Also here is the link for an indented category tree like I think you are asking for:
http://www.vpasp.com/helpnotes/shoptocdetail.asp?id=604#879

Edited by - LisaGriff on March 25 2007 02:59:25
Go to Top of Page

allegro
Starting Member

Australia
24 Posts

Posted - March 25 2007 :  04:52:37  Show Profile  Visit allegro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Lisa,
Thanks for your response. I tried the above, but my shopping cart didn't like it. I got an error message and couldn't open the login page.

The instructions that you directed me to say that they'll only work with v.6.0, and I've got v. 6.5, perhaps that's why?

Thanks,
Helene
Go to Top of Page

allegro
Starting Member

Australia
24 Posts

Posted - March 25 2007 :  07:46:02  Show Profile  Visit allegro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh! actually, I did get it to work! YAY!!!! Thanks Lisa! Now, all I have to do is figure out how to format it. I've given it a table class, as instructed, but I now don't know how to change the border colour, for example. I also wouldn't mind if there was some way to have the menu collapsible, but perhaps this is asking too much?

Thanks,
Helene

Edited by - allegro on March 25 2007 07:46:31
Go to Top of Page

bluesky
VP-CART Super User

304 Posts

Posted - March 25 2007 :  10:26:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya
i cant get this to work with 6.5 , I just get a blank box , did you do anything specific to make it work in 6.5 ?
Any help appreciated
PAUL

Edited by - bluesky on March 25 2007 10:42:44
Go to Top of Page

allegro
Starting Member

Australia
24 Posts

Posted - March 25 2007 :  15:31:43  Show Profile  Visit allegro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Paul,

No, I just followed the instructions as they are, and it works. I don't get a border around the categories box now, and that's something I'm working on, but the categories do show up, and they show up as an expanded tree.

Here's a link to my site. You can't navigate around the site because you have to be logged in to do that, but you can see the category tree on the left side:

http://www.buzzandbloom.com.au/default.asp

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Helene
Go to Top of Page

LisaGriff
VP-CART New User

USA
90 Posts

Posted - March 25 2007 :  18:53:35  Show Profile  Visit LisaGriff's Homepage  Reply with Quote

<<<i cant get this to work with 6.5 , I just get a blank box , did you do anything specific to make it work in 6.5 ?
Any help appreciated>>>>

If it helps, I did not add the include statement into shop$db like the directions said to. It doesn't seem to need that. It would error with "redefined" fields when I did include it.

Lisa

Go to Top of Page

bluesky
VP-CART Super User

304 Posts

Posted - March 25 2007 :  19:40:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hio lisa
thnaks for feedback ........ strange when i remove it i get undefined varible error message ....which makes sense if its not defined it cant resolve
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

i am going to ticket this now
i will leave a message once resolved

PAUL
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - March 25 2007 :  20:15:32  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

The online instructions you have linked to above are actually for version 6.00 and not 6.50.

We have a design guide now for version 6.50 you can download.
https://www.vpasp.com/helpnotes/VPASP_650_Design_Guide.zip

The online instructions will not work in 6.50.

Hope this helps

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

bluesky
VP-CART Super User

304 Posts

Posted - March 25 2007 :  20:29:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cam
A few of us are trying this as ALLEGRO says he has version 6.5 and it worked .............seems reasonable .......... the design guide provides no information at all on how to make the standard navigation list in left menu into a "indented catagory tree" that i can find .

If you are aware or anybody is aware how to implement this in 6.5 please share ..." indented catagory tree" sure is an attractive way to present !!

PAUL
Go to Top of Page

seeker1
VP-CART New User

Australia
114 Posts

Posted - March 25 2007 :  21:34:45  Show Profile  Visit seeker1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The correct setting is to use NavigateShowcategorylist.
To use this edit file shoppage_header.htm

Locate this line
<h2><%=getlang("langcommoncategories")%></h2>
add this line
<%NavigateShowcategorylist%>

Howard Kadetz
www.hkprog.com
Visit us for VP-ASP add-ons and other software and services
Go to Top of Page

bluesky
VP-CART Super User

304 Posts

Posted - March 25 2007 :  22:17:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oohhh ahhh! Howard ..yeah !
that worked perfect ...........

<!-- START CATEGORY BOX -->
<h2><%=getlang("langcommoncategories")%></h2>
<% if 1=0 then %><%NavigateShowCategoriesStyled%><% end if %>
<% if 1=0 then %><%NavigateShowAllCategories%><% end if %>
<% if 1=0 then %><%Displaynavcategories%><% end if %>
<% if 1=1 then %><%NavigateShowcategorylist%><% end if %>
<!-- END CATEGORY BOX -->

My cat names are a bit verbose it seems ! will need to trim em down but indented cat tree ..me now has !
Thnaks
PAUL
Go to Top of Page

allegro
Starting Member

Australia
24 Posts

Posted - March 25 2007 :  22:44:56  Show Profile  Visit allegro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Woah Paul, when I put your above code into my shoppage_header.htm my subcategories went all out of order! I put mine back to how it was from Lisa's suggestion and it works well again now.

I still can't seem to have the categories contract & expand as they are selected. Anyone know how to do that? It used to do it in my previous version (OS5.0).

Thanks,
Helene
Go to Top of Page

bluesky
VP-CART Super User

304 Posts

Posted - March 26 2007 :  03:37:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Helene
the above code is different ways to make navigation visable ?
change any of those end ifs to =1 and others to =o and that method becomes active ....for me its a quick way at looking at different nabvigation , if you have any others :-) share the code :-)

As regards the way of making the indented cat tree work it looks like its going to be "horses for courses" , "each to their own " .... i am not a programmer/designer so i try not to think "why" too much .... i am just happy when it does !!

My indented cat tree is working well , EXCEPT the margins are waayyy out methinks , i cant get the "right" side of the "catagories" box to pull in tight to the text , only way at present i can see what it might look like is for me to change the left menu table width to 32% of whole site width in css, aint a sweet solution you will understand ...but i am tinkering and will get there ..slowly

Again ..........thanks
Any suggestions on how to pull the menu box in tighter appreciated

PAUL

PS ... i think the issue i have is better described as a a "wrapping" issue .My catagory names are wrapping tooo early

Edited by - bluesky on March 26 2007 06:52:30
Go to Top of Page

allegro
Starting Member

Australia
24 Posts

Posted - March 26 2007 :  15:59:33  Show Profile  Visit allegro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Paul, do you have a url I can look at?

Thanks,
Helene
Go to Top of Page

goshen
VP-CART New User

132 Posts

Posted - March 26 2007 :  19:58:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe VPASP should release an official patch for this category issue now that it is obvious that it is proven to be a popular choice by customers. It is one big area that the current cart is lacking in functionality. It is just not OK for subcategories to be displaying alongside primary categories in a long list.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2
Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00