Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Add-ons for VP-ASP
 BigYellowZone
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

candude
VP-CART New User

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - March 20 2007 :  09:34:30  Show Profile  Visit candude's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to share my frustration with BigYellowZone add-on product installation. After buying their SiteMaps and Froogle product lister - we had to go through about 15 steps just to get their licensing uploaded and installed. You also need to backup your existing store (just in case), and after you need to install an add-on for the menu which takes another 1 hour to do (if you do it correctly!!!), .. and only after that you have to install their product to be added into the menu - AND you need to update the licensing file yet again with a new codes... NIGHTMARE!!!

So all in all about 20-30 steps and about 4 hours just to get their SiteMap installed.

Licensing is important but my time is too. But overall though if you do not take installation in consideration - good products from them!

-----------------------
VP-ASP: Installation, Customization and Security
http://www.sublet.net/vpasp/

Edited by - candude on March 20 2007 09:36:34

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - March 20 2007 :  10:08:12  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For the wait-for-us-to-generate-your-key aspect:

yes; you're right; at the moment generating/giving-out/updating the keys is an annoying manual process; but good news is on the horizon.....

we know that it's a pain to do this manually (from the customer side, but also from our side too), so we've been working on a much simpler way of doing it, which will also allow much easier upgrades and download links etc; we're creating a kind of "windows-update" style screen for our addons where you'll be able to download keys, request new domains, upgrade etc, all on a simple/single/intuitive screen. We're hoping that'll be available before the end of April (we'll be sending out a mailshot to everyone on our mail-list when it's ready/released).

In the meantime, if you have any problems/questions, or if you can't get it to work, please do let us know. Especially for the licensing aspect; I'd be happy to login to ftp on your site and check the install on that aspect (no charge, obviously) if you want me to.

I'm glad for the feedback; even though it's negative feedback it's all useful/good stuff to know; it helps us understand that the pending work we're doing on the licensing at the moment is really needed/wanted, and will help to step-up the release date. So, all feedback's welcome; if you have any other comments, do let us know.

On the installation aspect of the licensing; installing the licensing stuff is easy; all you need to do is upload the files and add 2 lines to the bottom of your shop$db.asp file (all explained in the readme file).

On the installation of something like the google-sitemap generator; again it's quite simple; just check/change your default options on the config file, upload the files, and add the menu item (again, all explained in the readme files).

We do make a point of trying to make our addons as simple as possible to install, and the readme files for the installation steps are very detailed/clear. Having said that, our addons are fully modular, so buying one addon might mean that you need to install an included other addon too. For example, say someone bought our "blank-out-zero-currency" template field addon, you'd need to install the "extra template fields" addon first (which in turn would be included in the blank-out addon). All our addons come with a top-level readme file which explains the order of the modules to install, and then there's a separate readme file inside each module to explain how to install that module.

But there will inevitably be some steps that you can't do by simply uploading generic files, because obviously you wouldn't want to overwrite any existing customisations you might have or lose a vpasp fix etc.

If anyone wants us to install an addon for them, we're happy to do it; just purchase our installation service and we'll install whatever byz addons you've got (apart from the asp-generator, which would need a quote first because how its setup varies so much from site-to-site).

Much as I'd like to bypass the steps needed for installing licensing, it simply can't be bypassed (previous to using the licensing we got ripped off by almost everyone who bought them). Adding an include/call to the bottom of shop$db.asp isn't (I hope) too much to ask to help protect our software. If it wasn't protected, it wouldn't be available and you'd have to write your own.

Anyway; I appreciate/understand the annoyances; I'm hoping that with the introduction of our "windows-update" style screen lots of these steps can be immensely simplified. All feedback welcome on this front from anybody; negative comments are read/considered and we'll never take offence as long as they're constructive (which the above posting is).

If anyone has any questions/problems, don't be afraid to ask/say; we're open to suggestions/comments etc.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on March 20 2007 10:22:35
Go to Top of Page

joe_dejesus
Starting Member

USA
14 Posts

Posted - June 15 2007 :  18:45:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ordered Keyword administrator and the dowload link did not work, so I am waiting for a link so I can download software.

Meantime, I opted to also buy google sitemap generator addon, download link worked and I got software, BUT I am now waiting for some keys so I can start installing it...

Sooo... So far I purchased 2 different addons and cannot use or start installing either of them...

Been waiting for email reply and wanted to post here since I see activity for this company.

Joe
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - June 17 2007 :  04:42:41  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hi Joe,

I'll get you all sorted this moment; it's been fairly low-level support over this weekend from us I'm afraid as most byz guys have taken the weekend off; I'll email you and make sure you're all sorted out today.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - June 17 2007 :  05:34:43  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Joe,

I've emailed you a newer (just released) version of the keyword tools addon. The reason that you didn't originally receive the keys was because the email got bounced as you'd entered an invalid email address (it had 2 at signs in it) when ordering.

If you have any other outstanding problems/questions, please feel free to email me direct or raise a support ticket on our site.

I've updated/corrected your order and customer records on our database so that they now all point to your correct email address.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com

Edited by - devshb on June 17 2007 05:36:55
Go to Top of Page

joe_dejesus
Starting Member

USA
14 Posts

Posted - June 17 2007 :  07:27:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YES these fallas respond back and take care of issues...

Products installed ok and all seems good at the moment..

Thanks!
Joe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00