Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-ASP 6.50 Features and Facilities
 Shop Closed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

extremeskillz
VP-CART New User

USA
94 Posts

Posted - March 12 2007 :  07:52:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Did VPASP get rid of shopclosed in the admin areas. I was fooling around with it the other night and notice this is not in the new version. It was a great feature when doing maintenance to the webstore. Maybe I overlooked it. Is it still in the 6.50 software?

Edited by - extremeskillz on March 12 2007 14:04:18

Gonzo
Starting Member

19 Posts

Posted - March 15 2007 :  00:03:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Do a search for xshopclosed in your shop configuration and set to "Yes"
Go to Top of Page

extremeskillz
VP-CART New User

USA
94 Posts

Posted - March 17 2007 :  08:20:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok i found it know how do i shortcut it to the admin pages because it more convenient that way instead of going through all the setup stuff?
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - March 17 2007 :  23:23:14  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

I have created a help note on this topic in Tips & Tricks for you.

https://www.vpasp.com/helpnotes/shopexd.asp?id=910

You will need to ensure that all references in the code to < are replaced with the actual symbol <. In the help notes the < symbol is displayed using an image so you canot simply copy and paste unfortunately.

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

goshen
VP-CART New User

132 Posts

Posted - March 18 2007 :  00:26:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Cam,
I think you probably need to recheck the helpnote again. The instructions are not too clear. It looks like you are missing some details. For example, there is a line that says you should locate the following line and you either failed to mention the item to look for in the line to locate or something. Then after a blank paragraph, you said to add the block of code.

or am I the only person confused about this instruction?
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - March 18 2007 :  06:56:11  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry about that. Try now.

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

goshen
VP-CART New User

132 Posts

Posted - March 19 2007 :  20:09:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK Cam,
I believe your instructions is still not very clear on the second block of code you wanted us to add below the:
<%closerecordset shortrs
shopclosedatabase shortdbc
else
%>

This is because in v6.50 that I have, the line you are refering to does not have the ASP tags around it, but is written as shown below:

closerecordset shortrs
else
closerecordset shortrs
exit sub
end if
End Sub

As you can see, the instruction you provided does not really tell us where to paste that second block without messing up the code.
This is what I did that worked for me:

closerecordset shortrs
else
closerecordset shortrs
shopclosedatabase shortdbc%>

<% Cam's 2nd block of code here %>
<%exit sub
end if
End Sub

I hope I am not the only one seeing this code like this. I have v6.50

A follow up question for you Cam, is that using this new close shop shortcut allows every administrator irrespective of their restricted status, to be able to close the shop at will. Isn't this a security breach?

thanks

Edited by - goshen on March 19 2007 20:30:39
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - March 20 2007 :  05:37:34  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if it's any help, what we do for closing the shop (eg when down for maintenance) is we built a mini bolt-on which closes off all the asps completely and redirects you to a "closed" html file whenever you try to access any vpasp asp file.

that uses a new/byz config option in the shop$config.asp file for the redirect url and for the closed flag.

then, if you want to access the shop yourself while it's closed you open an "override" asp file which sets your current browser session, then you can use the normal shop pages and the admin pages while your customers are still disabled from using the site.

that's something that we built ages ago which we always use when doing things like big releases for upgrades/conversions etc, but it's not for-sale/available yet from our site.

if anyone would find that logic/code useful, let us know and we'll package it together.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on March 20 2007 05:38:09
Go to Top of Page

extremeskillz
VP-CART New User

USA
94 Posts

Posted - March 21 2007 :  11:52:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will try the instructions in the helpnotes to see what happens.
Go to Top of Page

extremeskillz
VP-CART New User

USA
94 Posts

Posted - March 21 2007 :  12:19:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok seems like the second part of cam's code does not make sense. I tried the first part and works fine. I do not see what the second code does. I entered the first block of code and test and seems to be working fine. Confirm this please.
Go to Top of Page

extremeskillz
VP-CART New User

USA
94 Posts

Posted - March 21 2007 :  12:42:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Goshen version is working and i do not see any problems. There is something missing in Cam's instructions for the second part of the code.

Edited by - extremeskillz on March 21 2007 12:43:49
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - May 29 2007 :  04:40:37  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you might be interested in our site-suspender tool which will allow you to access the store (as a customer and/or as admin) while it's still closed by using a password protected session override link, and which has lots of other useful aspects.

It'll totally shut-down all the vpasp pages when you set the flag, and uses a totally different option than the vpasp database config option to close the shop, so it doesn't matter what you do with the database or vpasp xshopid etc.

see:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=147

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: