Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Bulk product import question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MattSemi
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - March 11 2007 :  09:23:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I'm using VPSASP 6.5 Deluxe and just starting to get the hang of it.

I'm trying to import our inventory from a CSV flatfile, but I'm having a problem assigning the category. The category column in the flatfile, corresponds to an existing category. When I import the file, the category doesn't seem to be assigned.

I noticed there is a ProdCategories table - does VPASP 6.5 use this to look up the category? I'm not sure about this, since the documentation indicates the CCategory column "determines which category a product is in" (Database Tables, PDF, pg 11). Is there a utility to bulk convert the categories in the Products table and populate the ProdCategories table?

Thanks,
Matt

Edited by - MattSemi on March 11 2007 09:26:14

elammers
VP-CART Super User

USA
256 Posts

Posted - March 11 2007 :  09:37:35  Show Profile  Visit elammers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I haven't played with 6.5 yet, but 6.09 you need to run CONVERTPRODUCTS.ASP from your site after an import like that. Try that.

Regards,

Eric in Maine
Go to Top of Page

MattSemi
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - March 11 2007 :  10:38:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric,

Thanks for the suggestion - that worked. I came across that FAQ on the VPASP site, but it didn't mention 6.5. When I didn't find the file on my site, I assumed it didn't apply. Then it occured to me that I removed the file, per the Security advisory.

Anyways, I uploaded the file, ran it, and categories were assigned.

It would be nice to have a more elegant solution (perhaps integrated with the Product Import process). And I'm curious why the Ccode field is in the Products table - is this legacy stuff or is it used elsewhere?

Thanks,
Matt
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - March 11 2007 :  16:21:22  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
this info/link might help:

How can I import products using multiple categories/branches?
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/support/issue_view.asp?ID=224&CATE=8

and:
How can I import tab-separated files in vpasp?
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/support/issue_view.asp?ID=442&CATE=8

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on March 11 2007 16:22:38
Go to Top of Page

MattSemi
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - March 11 2007 :  16:34:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Simon,

Thanks for tips - they helped answer my next question about sub-categories, multiple categories, etc.

Is your product category utility tested for 6.5 yet?

Thanks,
Matt
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - March 11 2007 :  21:36:00  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yes; the prod/cat tool is tested for 6.5; the current version of it works fine as-is on 6.5. We haven't flagged it as 6.5-compliant on our site yet, purely because there's a few small changes to the readme file to cater for 6.5, but the addon itself is compatible as-is.

(the only difference in 6.5 is that you put it in the "everyday" section instead of the "occasional" section when you add the screen to the menu)

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)