Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Is VP-ASP compatible with Vista?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

dafragan
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - July 16 2007 :  00:09:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello!

VP-ASP uses lots of includes so if your site loads without your include, even when it's blank, maybe check that you are including the file properly?

Copy and paste one of the VP-ASP include statements and change it to use your filename.

You might want to turn on error message display too, so that you can see the actual error message instead of the standard microsoft one which is pretty useless.

Have a look at this page - about a quarter of the way down it explains how to turn off these "friendly" messages -

Script errors no longer shown in browser by default - http://blogs.iis.net/bills/archive/2007/05/21/tips-for-classic-asp-developers-on-iis7.aspx

I hope that helps!

Seb
Go to Top of Page

go4gold
VP-CART New User

151 Posts

Posted - March 07 2008 :  18:00:21  Show Profile  Visit go4gold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just a quick update further to my original post and Simon's request for feedback on how Vista has worked for me.

I have to say that a year down the line I have been very relieved that everything with VP-ASP has been fine which is great. However, I will still go with XP for my family's computer because so many other things don't work with Vista - my machine cannot recognise an .xls spreadsheet, nor a .doc file, it crashes if I use the screensaver and I am still having problems sending mail from outlook express. Even Adobe Acrobat say their free version does not support Vista and they have no intention of changing this. I also know that another global IT manufacturer uninstalls Vista from all its employees computers and installs XP instead because so many tools do not work on it.

So a year's use has not turned me into a fan!

Go4Gold
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - March 08 2008 :  03:55:35  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I still haven't used vista on my own pc/laptop (although I've tried using it on other people's), a few months ago I spoke to a laptop/pc techie about vista, and he thought that it was hardware/accessories which was the biggest problem (ie it's almost impossible to get any printers or scanners working on it etc). I'm not sure if that's still the case a couple of months on, but it wouldn't surprise me. It looked like microsoft had released the new operating system without telling any of the manufacturers (software or hardware) about how they can get their stuff working on it, and so now everybody's still playing catch-up with their drivers/patches etc (ie it's not just end-users who need to get new drivers, it's that the manufacturers need to create them in the first place).

For example, I tried getting a printer working on my mum's vista laptop, but even with their latest downloaded driver it wouldn't work. In the end we had to go back to the store that sold the laptop and get them to try and find out which (if any) printer manufacturer had drivers/printers that could work on vista; it was a very small list indeed! (we were lucky because the printer came from the same store as the laptop, ie they were sold as a package, but if you bought them separately you could have a big problem trying to swap things over or get a refund etc)

The other thing is that the techie I spoke to (who's installed vista on 100's of pcs/laptops) said that he reckoned vista actually makes the machine run a lot slower than xp, and that matches up to what I experienced whenever I've tried using a laptop/pc that has vista on it; it generally seems incredibly slow and hangs a lot.

There's only 1 thing that impressed me with vista, and that was that it could find my wireless router; to connect to it all I had to do was type in my router's id and from that point onwards if the laptop was in the router's vicinity I could just click a button to connect to it. The other things are huge problems, but internet connections which are a nightmare to setup on xp seem to be much much easier on vista, but that doesn't outweigh all the negative aspects for me. Having said that, I spent about 2 days trying to get my broadband connection setup on xp; on vista it took about 10 seconds; I wish they could put that comms software into an xp patch!

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on March 08 2008 04:35:06
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2
Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly