Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Suggestions for future release
 Feature Groups
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mleselrod
Starting Member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - February 13 2007 :  09:22:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd love to able to use Feature Groups. Right now you can set up a feature and make it required or not. I'd like to have a group of features and make it required that the user select a value in one of the feature groups.
For example:
5 dropdowns all populated with choices. The user is required to choose from only one of the dropdowns.
I needed this and added it myself to my code but I think other people would find it usefull too.

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - February 13 2007 :  14:10:58  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yep; we've also done things similar to that in the past, where we created a kind of feature-group, and then coded up a central function which ensured that certain groups' choices fitted-in with the requirements of the product/site (and also so that we could format the display of the options differently depending on what group the features are in)

some of the rules were quite complex, eg must have an option chosen from group 1 or 2, if group 3 is chosen then there must be a group 4 chosen, if group 5 is chosen then no group 3's can be chosen etc (and also having different rules for different products). I know that sounds awkward/complex from a customer's point of view, but when you see the display of the features/products with real data/text in the right format on the product pages, it's clear/intuitive/simple/basic from the customer's point of view. The key to it was making sure that the customised-display of the features made sense to the customer and was tailored to the business/site.

a "feature group" sits above the feature-values/list level, ie it's a kind of secondary "feature type"; still stored on the same table as the other feature-levels (ie no new tables needed), but treated differently.

anyway; in summary, I agree and I too would like to be able to group features together and have some kind of central function where you can control/customise the logic/rules for what's allowed on the groups.

In case anyone's reading this who's new to vpasp and my post here is causing concern; you can group your options together in standard vpasp (eg a poplist for size which has all the size options for that product), and you can also use radio-groups and tickboxes etc, and you can force a certain set of options to be mandatory or optional, and you can have more than one set of options on a given product etc; loads of things are possible with standard features in vpasp; this posting is for complex rules rather than what most sites would normally need.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on February 13 2007 14:30:12
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000