Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 A little Feature help...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mleselrod
Starting Member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - February 09 2007 :  13:47:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there a way to make features a little more dynamic? I'm making a t-shirt site and each design has several options of how it can be ordered.
Kids sizes, adults sizes, raglan t-shirt, onesie (for babies) and bibs. Each of those types has it's own size. I want to let a customer choose a design and then choose the style and size. I have one product for each design and then added 5 sets of feature dropdowns with the sizes for each style (the prices are in the features).

The problem is the customer can select Adult XL and then choose a size from the kids dropdown too. I want them to only be able to pick one type of style/size and not select from each dropdown. Is there a way to do this?
Does what I'm saying make sense? I don't want to have a product for each design and style combination. It would be hundreds of products to setup and then if I added one more style, like long sleeve shirts, I would have to go and make new products for each one again.

Mark Priest
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
580 Posts

Posted - February 09 2007 :  20:38:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mmm, not really sure what your after. Take a look at www.sizedwell.co.uk is this what you need?

Regards,

Mark
http://www.fireworkcrazy.com
Go to Top of Page

mleselrod
Starting Member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - February 09 2007 :  21:54:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty much Mark. Thanks for the reply. I could have one giant drop down for each shirt design. The drop down would have all of the style and size combos. It would be pretty long though.

I'd like to have maybe 4 different drop downs.
They would be:Adult TShirt Sizes, Adult Long Sleeves Sizes, Kids Size, etc....

But the user would only be able to select one drop down, not all 4, so I know what it is they are ordering. I don't see a way to do that without modifying the code.
Go to Top of Page

LisaGriff
VP-CART New User

USA
90 Posts

Posted - February 09 2007 :  21:56:36  Show Profile  Visit LisaGriff's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If I understand you correctly, you are making a multiple dropdown features - one for each size type category, and you want the customer to be able to select a choice from only one size type dropdown when ordering a product. I do not think this can be done as the dropdowns would not be considered as options for just one feature. Each dropdown is a separate feature and I believe you would need to make one large dropdown unless you enter each product as multiples with it's own dropdown - one for men, one for women, and another one for children etc.... This might be a good thing to post in the Feature Wish List.

Lisa
Go to Top of Page

mleselrod
Starting Member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - February 10 2007 :  07:12:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right, that's what I need to do. I was originally setting up each variation as a seperate product but it's so much work. I'd rather have it all in one place. One giant drop down will just keep getting bigger since some items can come in different colors.
I am a programmer so I'm thinking of just putting in some client side javascript that will control what happens with the dropdowns. Everytime they select from one I'll reset the others to have nothing selected.
I was hoping someone already came across this and solved it or knew of some add on for it.
Go to Top of Page

Kidd
VP-CART Super User

Australia
373 Posts

Posted - February 11 2007 :  20:16:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the more you have on your dropdown the slower it will load up though, from what you have said seems like you are going to have one giant massive drop down, people who are using slower connection might get timeout etc
Go to Top of Page

mleselrod
Starting Member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - February 11 2007 :  22:10:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No I'm not using one big drop down. That seemed to be the only solution so I changed how features work. Now I have 5 different dropdowns (one for each style of shirt, showing the sizes and prices for it) on every product. Selecting one of the style dropdowns unselects the other style dropdowns. So the user can never select XL Sweatshirt and XL T-Shirt at the same time. Then when they click order, I make sure they picked at least one of the styles so I can have a price for them.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00