Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 adding additional customer info fields to database
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Questar
Starting Member

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - January 29 2007 :  11:28:41  Show Profile  Visit Questar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have added 4 additional fields to the customer table via the shop configuration. I have to also add these fields to the databse - can someone please tell me exactly how I go about doing this? Also, how would I add text to appear below each caption or field? Thanks.

Kidd
VP-CART Super User

Australia
373 Posts

Posted - January 29 2007 :  21:02:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what do you want to do exactly?

which caption or field are you talking about?
Go to Top of Page

Questar
Starting Member

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - January 30 2007 :  07:45:48  Show Profile  Visit Questar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have added 4 text fields to the Customer Information Form, by editing the 'xcustomerotherfields' and 'xcustomerothercaptions'. These fields are added under the last field on the form. The captions are the names I have assigned for each field as they will appear on the form beside the text field. I need to manually add these new fields to the database, which I believe I do on 'shopmysql.subs.asp' ?? I have no idea how to do this.

The 2nd part of my request for help is that I'd like to add a different line of text ideally below each of these 4 fields. Or, if that's not possible than adding text below the last field only. I'm thinking I should be able to do this by adding my html coding to the 'shopcustomerform.asp' file, but I don't know how to go about this.

Hope this clarifies things and you can help. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Kidd
VP-CART Super User

Australia
373 Posts

Posted - January 31 2007 :  04:55:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1. you will need to alter the the customer table, what type of db are you using? try google this "alter table + your database type"

2. Parserecord Getconfig("xcustomerOtherFields"), words, wordcount,","
Parserecord getconfig("xcustomerOtherCaptions"), captions, capcount,","

after those line write do write this
>% (write your html code here) <%
Go to Top of Page

Questar
Starting Member

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - February 28 2007 :  14:11:56  Show Profile  Visit Questar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just getting back to this now. I was able to add the extra lines of text to appear by the new fields I added to the customer form, but I still need to add these new fields to the database. We are using MYSQL, and VP-ASP version 6. I have searched the VP-ASP knowledge base but cannot locate specific instructions on how to do this (perhaps I am just not entering the right key words). If anyone knows where I can find this info, or exactly what steps I must take, please advise. I am very new to this, so I need very basic, easy-to-follow instructions. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - March 01 2007 :  03:49:43  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
this should help, it explains how to add new columns to your products table, but the same logic applies for new columns on any table when it comes to the sql syntax to use and having a "front-end" to run the sql statement:

http://www.bigyellowzone.com/support/issue_view.asp?ID=30

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on March 01 2007 05:29:28
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: