Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Ecommerce - Need guidance on where to start
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gdv0303
Starting Member

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - January 16 2007 :  13:30:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am new to setting up an ecommerce site. I am not new to software development though...

Here is my warped frame-of-mind question. Do I start with building a shopping-cart and integrate that into my my site

OR

do I start with the web site and try to make the shopping cart look and feel the same as the web site?

I just don't want to waste my time on doing it the wrong way.

Edited by - gdv0303 on January 16 2007 13:32:26

Scooter
VP-CART New User

USA
102 Posts

Posted - January 16 2007 :  14:49:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello

I did both ways and found easier to use shopping cart for whole site.

I build intranet for my work and it was first inserted into existing site which work ok but when we did upgrade we decide to use shopping cart for ewverything. Content pages too now in shopping cart so all can be updated in one place.

When you have your own site you can do easy though too as VP-ASP have 2 templates to use you can add your code to.

Just need to no a bit of HTML and you can do it I think pretty easy.

Thanx
Scoota
Go to Top of Page

gdv0303
Starting Member

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - January 16 2007 :  15:13:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your response...

Where can I find the templates you refer to?

Also, after doing the admin setup, where is the shopping cart ASP file kept so I can work with it and tweek it?

Edited by - gdv0303 on January 16 2007 15:16:37
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - January 16 2007 :  17:12:55  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

The overall look and feel of VPASP is controlled by 2 main files called shoppage_header.htm and shoppage_trailer.htm.

You can either integrate VP-ASP into an existing site by inserting the html from your current site into these 2 files or you can start from scracth and develop a whole new look using VPASp for your whole site.

When you unzip the VP-ASP file you will see over 300 files, many of these ending with .asp. The pages most people modify are the files that begin with tmp_ however as these along with the shoppage templates are what control the look and feel.

For fine tuning you can then modify the shop.css and shop$colors.asp file to control the way your text and links are displayed.

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

gdv0303
Starting Member

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - January 17 2007 :  11:48:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your feedback. I'm sure there are more questions I will need answered as I build my site which leads me to another question.

Is there an online VPASP user manual which explains what procedures much be taken and what the VPASP files are used for?
Go to Top of Page

k-otic
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - January 21 2007 :  21:51:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've found the online help guides pretty good: http://www.vpasp.com/helpnotes/shoptoc.asp

Go to Top of Page

gdv0303
Starting Member

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - January 23 2007 :  10:34:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all of you for your feedback! I purchased the VP-ASP documentation from www.hkprog.com, all 350 pages of it so this should help.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00