Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 customer password
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bookseller
Starting Member

24 Posts

Posted - January 12 2007 :  16:03:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

it's been some time I have been trying to set vpasp in order to oblige new customers to register with a password. In fact it works, but not all the time: a certain percentage of my customers find a way to register without entering any password. It seems that in most cases those customers are already registered and create another entry without having to enter their password. This leads, as you can guess, to many problems in terms of order management and processing.

My question is rather simple: could someone help me to prevent duplicate registration (that is for example a customer registering twice with the same email address) and registrations without password?

Many thanks to all in advance,

torobravo

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - January 13 2007 :  04:56:18  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This usually seems to happen if people sign-up to the maillist rather than doing a full register/enter-details. I believe (although I might be wrong) that vpasp have got that duplicate-user issue in-hand and that they'll be issuing some kind of fix for it in the pending/new version.

For our cart (ie we sell addons for vpasp, but we also use vpasp itself for our own site too) we ended up adding a fair bit of customisations to avoid duplicated users; the main change we did was to build a separate mail-signup screen which auto-generates pwds for people who sign-up to the mail-list (otherwise they often end up in a catch-22; unable to login because they don't have a pwd, and unable to create a new account because the system says they're already registered)

see:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopmaillist.asp

that's what we used; we've got all the code for it, and might sell it as an addon someday, but as vpasp might be releasing a fix for it soon it's now been put on the back-burner.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

bookseller
Starting Member

24 Posts

Posted - January 15 2007 :  16:54:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Simon for all these interesting details. However, the mailing list registration is off on our website, so the problem lies probably elsewhere. Also, registrations is allowed for customers only, that means that you can't register if you don't buy a product. I am using vpsasp 5.5 and would really love to find a way around this problem as it can have serious side effects on customer service.
Go to Top of Page

k-otic
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - January 21 2007 :  21:36:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you got xcheckexistingcustomer set to YES in your config settings?

I use this and it seems to stop duplicate registrations.
Go to Top of Page

bookseller
Starting Member

24 Posts

Posted - January 22 2007 :  01:45:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes xcheckexistingcustomeris set to Yes in my config settings but to no avail. The incidence (or let's call it bug) happens from time to time. This is a serious problem that unfortunately nobody at VPASP seems to really take care of.
Go to Top of Page

Mark Priest
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
580 Posts

Posted - January 22 2007 :  16:55:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bookseller,

I have a cart thats been doing this for years and we have never worked it out!

Regards,

Mark
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - January 22 2007 :  17:19:54  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately we have not been able to replicate this issue so it makes it extremely difficult to debug.

If anyone can tell us how we can replicate we will be able to look into it and find a fix. Unfortunately there are too many configuration alternatives and server set ups to be able to second guess what it may be.

Sorry I can't be more help with this.

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

webboy
VP-CART New User

Australia
52 Posts

Posted - January 29 2007 :  04:39:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is just a stab in the dark. But when the customer has logged shouldn't the Customer Registration be hidden. It seems to be pointless being visible anymore.

Login successful - Box

Customer Service - label

1. Review previous Orders
2. Change address Details
3. Forgot your password?
4. Customer Registration = here's what i think is the culprit

Logout

I filled out the details like one that already exists and it went through. But the message at the end was
"You have been added to our mailing list."

Now i have mailing list turned off so there's something not cooking properly.

well what happened was the details i typed in replaced my previous details. So there's really a bug as it did not even update the mailing list column.

When the customer has logged in the customer registration should not be visible anymore.

Just a stab in the dark.

Built for the future
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00