Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Comments about VP-ASP
 Worst looking cart ever
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

stardog777
Starting Member

37 Posts

Posted - July 29 2002 :  10:46:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Worst looking cart ever

GTM
VP-CART New User

USA
122 Posts

Posted - January 08 2003 :  03:20:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to say you guys have done a great job with support. This cart can be configured anyway you want. Sure, it takes some time to get it the way you want, but what doesn't. My advice, try using a cart written in Javascript.

Greg

Go to Top of Page

Mark Priest
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
580 Posts

Posted - January 08 2003 :  11:58:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice, NOT!!!

And they say you get what you pay for, well not in this case!

Regards,

Mark
http://www.isee-multimedia.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

williamj
VP-CART New User

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - January 21 2003 :  07:47:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that Vpasp is one of the best carts available and in the hands of a good designer the cart can be made to look any way you want. But let's face it - out of the box the cart looks ugly. The photos in the demo cart are out of focus and the overall design is amateuristic. The VPASP crew are great coders but design and marketing are not their forte.
It is true that you can't judge a book by its cover but it's also true that first impressions are lasting impressions.
I am in the retail business and marketing. I have seen many formerly slow moving products "fly off the shelf" with a new package design and I am sure the same could happen with VPASP if they hired a professional to redesign their website and demo cart.
On the other hand it may not be such a good idea. Maybe their business would increase so much that we wouldn't get the same 5 star support that we are use to.

Go to Top of Page

GTM
VP-CART New User

USA
122 Posts

Posted - January 22 2003 :  01:50:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Yes, I see what you mean the demo cart seems to appeal more towards a mom and pop store (brick and mortar). With some more finer digital imaging or maybe motion graphics on the demo it could appeal to more people. While it appears simple it functions as a fully functional e-commerce site. How it is presented on the web is left up to the user.

Greg

Go to Top of Page

Cam
VP-CART Super User

Australia
361 Posts

Posted - January 24 2003 :  10:06:58  Show Profile  Visit Cam's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is one of the reasons we hav taken their great package and tried to improve the user interface a bit to be more pleasing to the eye.

Have a look at http://www.yourvirtualstore.net/yvs450 to see how we have tried to improve the overall look and feel and make the experience more user friendly.

Cheers,
Cam

Cam Flanigan
YourVirtualStore Sales
e-mail: http://www.vpasp.com/sales/shopcustcontact.asp
web: http://www.yourvirtualstore.net

Build you own YourVirtualStore!!!
www.yourvirtualstore.net
Go to Top of Page

stardog777
Starting Member

37 Posts

Posted - January 27 2003 :  09:21:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yourvirtualstore.net/yvs450 doesn't look any different... you've changed the colors, big deal. The whole checkout process looks like every vp-asp cart.

Go to Top of Page

pezza
Starting Member

Australia
14 Posts

Posted - January 29 2003 :  05:14:53  Show Profile  Visit pezza's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey stardog..

I have seen you post quite a few times putting down vpasp and now yourvirtualstore.

Not once though have I seen you post your own url. I am sure I and others would like to see your design skills and maybe then we can give some credance to what you spout on about !!

Give us a break please....

Nadia
Go to Top of Page

Juzzy
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - February 18 2003 :  20:55:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yourvirtualstore.net/yvs450 doesn't look any different... you've changed the colors, big deal. The whole checkout process looks like every vp-asp cart.

Stardog?!?!

What is your problem dude? Do you know of any better ECommerce package out there?

Or are you looking for some magical package that comes in 3D and is able to accept cash?

I don't why you're being so petty, but I'm guessing you own some start up that flogs some other kind of software for $5000.

Go to Top of Page

arte
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - October 18 2003 :  08:38:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Stardog has obviously lost his bone

It is a simple case of look what you get for your money and remember the support is not £50 (or bucks) per hour!! Nor some premium rate phone number, but good "tech" support.

A browse through the forums clearly shows most users are not tech guru's (inc. me) so we are lucky to have support on demand for free.

I'm sure by the time most complete their store the support value will have paid for the product!

If Stardog is not the dog he appears to be, why is he hanging around the forums still? Get a life (or new bone) boy! Go fetch a new product, and lose some stress man, coz the alternatives are less flexible, having used many over the past 3 years, but look nice!

Put less effort into "me, me, me" and more into developing and sharing on forums and you might just find you have a different looking and classy store that even you wouldn't spot VP was running.

You slate the yvs checkout as looking the same - well so what? Surely once a customer has got that far you want them to feel at ease with the transaction process to get their hard earned cash rather than them admiring the design but not being able to use it and bugger orf somewhere else!

Nuff said!

Go to Top of Page

siraj
VP-CART New User

USA
194 Posts

Posted - November 01 2003 :  01:00:45  Show Profile  Visit siraj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I do agree with most of them here. The price you pay 10 times worth only if you know at least little knowledge of asp. I got paid and getting paid for what I paid for and paying for. Thanks once again VPASP.
Good Luck.

Go to Top of Page

Cliffw
Starting Member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - November 05 2003 :  19:47:28  Show Profile  Visit Cliffw's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All I can tell you is we took the code (very strong base and cheep for what you get) and built what we think is a nice and user friendly interface. The site is doing great and yes my business is increasing each and every day.
The support has been almost instant when needed but generally programmers are not good designers.

Look at http://www.atlantahobby.com to see our design.

Cliff Whitney
Go to Top of Page

IndirectObject
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - March 08 2004 :  21:44:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here we are quite some time after this thread began and I want to say that VP-ASP is still an excellent product. I first purchased VP-ASP around four years ago and have upgraded a few times including this evening to v5. Before I made the decision to purchase the upgrade I re-evaluated the competition and confirmed that VP-ASp is still the best buy.

jreed
Go to Top of Page

atari
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - March 29 2004 :  11:05:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VPASP never advertises that t is the best looking out of the box online store.
VPASP is a core for an online store. It's a top quality core. To get it to do, and look, how you want, you will have to spend time to configure, and modify it.
I have had no problems with this software. I went into this knowing HTML very well, and absolutely no ASP, or VB. With a little bit of logic, some google, and emails to the support, I have made my site to be exactly as I want it at the moment. We have custome built in functionality from True quickbooks integration. By this I mean, we have 7 stores, and we can import only the online sales that each store is credited, into that stores quickbooks, without messing up anything else. We have UPS integration. By using this program we have cut the time it takes to fill, process, and ship online orders in half. That in itself has payed back the entire cost of the software in 2 months.

This is a top quality program. If you have no idea of any HTML, and are unable to learn VB and ASP, then designing your very own webstore might not be the right project for you. Pay some kid out of highschool $15 an hour. They'll get it done for you in a few weeks.

Go to Top of Page

jackbox
VP-CART New User

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - August 18 2004 :  16:55:20  Show Profile  Visit jackbox's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm now a year into VPASP. I've wrestled with it and learnt much in the process. If you're purely a designer it'll take a while to get to grips with it but trust me its really worth it. The best tip I can give is make sure you use tmp_productformat.htm and tmp_product.htm, layout the product pages the way you like and BEFORE you upload it go back through the source and shift all the calls such as [cname], [cdescription] etc on to their OWN lines, cos they'll jump about trust me, and mess the page up if they're not on separate lines. Do that and you'll gain control of the design.

I also dispensed with the awful categories page and hard coded these into left and right hand menus - way better to navigate and gives a search engine spider MUCH to bite on. What you ultimately end up with is your own stylised cart that will constantly evolve, using vp-asp as it core. Oh and one more thing, if you can't get stuff to paginate or centre, don't forget shop$colours.asp - 9 times out of ten thats where the control is.

Go to Top of Page

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - August 18 2004 :  20:43:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, it takes a very long time to modify VP-ASP to get a presentable cart. I really appreciate how very flexible it is due to the many configuration options and being able to edit the source code to change anything we want. I also very much appreciate support.

I just wish it worked better out of the box, and that it was presented as a development platform up front so everyone knew what they were getting before they bought it. Someone who buys VP-ASP thinking they are getting a good working cart with the idea that they may later choose to customize it if they have a few special needs will be rather disappointed. There are many much cheaper solutions that get you going with a few clicks. Sure, they aren't as configurable and they sometimes tie you to the ISP that offers them (as in Yahoo stores), but at least you are able to get running quickly with a decent looking site.

One of the reasons I bought VP-ASP is that some of the customer sites that used it looked excellent. I thought "if it can look that good, then its worth it." What was not clear is the immense amount of work that it took to get those customer sites looking so good.

A great improvement to the presentation of the customer sites section of the VP-ASP web site would be to give info on the amount of investment it took to get the site going after the purchase of VP-ASP. It could be rated on a scale of the types of changes and degree of changes required:

Just configuration changes
Changes to shop$colors.asp
Creation of templates
Amount of ASP code changed or added for changing appearance
Amount of ASP code changed or added for correcting existing functionality
Amount of ASP code changed or added to add key functionality

Overall, how many man-months of design time, or money, went into creating the site? This would be a truthful presentation to visitors considering purchase of VP-ASP.

I do have high hopes for VP-ASP version 5.5 as the VP-ASP team has listened to many of our suggestions and is planning improvements in the new version. I'm not looking forward to the time it will take me to test out the new version and then transfer all my ASP modifications to the new files. However, I anticipate that many of my modifications won't be necessary due to the improvements in the new version.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2
Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00