Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 What Sort Of Access Database?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

waring_abbott
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - December 30 2006 :  09:24:18  Show Profile  Visit waring_abbott's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am a new customer and am confused as to exactly what sort of Access database VP-ASP is looking for in the cart? What types of fields, what structure? I own Access and have created some simple databases so that is not a problem -- just to need to know what it "wants", which does not seem to be in the documentation. If it is, I apologize, just point me in the right direction and I will keep quite... I have two sites, one with 80 products that come in three sizes, each size a different price (the other site is twice as large with similar but not identical products), so I imagine this is not very complex. But I don't want to create what I think is the right database only to have it "rejected" by the cart.
thanks,
Waring Abbott/NY

elammers
VP-CART Super User

USA
256 Posts

Posted - December 30 2006 :  14:33:59  Show Profile  Visit elammers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's easier than you think. The cart software already comes with a prebuilt MDB file with sample data. Just look in the subfolder "database" in your zip file.

Use that to get your site up and running and then use the Admin Console to remove the demo data once you've figured things out. Then just import your current product list.

Until you get familiar with all the tools within VP-ASP and behind the scenes actions, best to use the Admin Console's Import tool to pull in bulk lists of products.

Regards,

Eric in Maine
Go to Top of Page

waring_abbott
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - December 31 2006 :  15:17:25  Show Profile  Visit waring_abbott's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Eric, thanks for the response - trying to get all this set up during New Year's so that I can rehab my carts by Tuesday AM...perhaps you could help with a continuation of this: in the Quick Start (5.1.4) re setting up permissions, when I go to database/properties tab there is no 'security' option (so that I can select Everyone/Users). I do have network options but no 'security'. I am running XP Pro and IIS is installed and working, so what am I missing? Yes, the path I used to get there (as per QSG) was C:/InetPub/wwwroot/shopping/database. And there sure is no "Replace permission entries on all child...." to check and no "Inherit from parent...." to uncheck. Am I in the wrong place totally?
thanks again,
Waring Abbott
ps have seen a few postings that suggest MY-SQL is more secure than Access in this application...does that make any sense to you? Right now am just looking for quickest easiest way to migrate my old cart into this stuff...will address the security issues in more depth later.
Go to Top of Page

elammers
VP-CART Super User

USA
256 Posts

Posted - December 31 2006 :  16:01:52  Show Profile  Visit elammers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I don't run a local copy. Always upload my dev/test carts to a dev/test folder on my web site.

As for MySQL, I tried it once and had no luck whereas I've had no troubles using Access and MS SQL Server.

I know there are probably others that monitor this forum that can answer both questions.

Regards,

Eric in Maine
Go to Top of Page

waring_abbott
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - December 31 2006 :  19:34:05  Show Profile  Visit waring_abbott's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Eric, thanks for the quick reply and suggestions. I've tried setting up Access using VP-ASP and had no joy there either. Setting the permissions for the database folder has proved absolutely impossible, or at least that is what their test utility deal keeps telling me. And I at least know at little about access and absolutely nothing about MySQL. By the way, why do you load all of your test carts to a folder on your web site? Is that making it easier to set up? Because if it is, I'll do it that way in a flash. Would doing that have any effect on paths or otherwise confuse the situation? All of my sites were done from modified Dreamweaver templates and I have created a few problems from 'confusing' the paths here and there.

thanks,
Waring Abbott
ArtOnYourWall.Com
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - December 31 2006 :  19:45:33  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For those who do not have a great deal of experience with MySQl or SQL Server I would steer away from them completely as they are very complex and not for the faint hearted.

If you want to use either of these then our recommendation would be to set your site up in a sub folder on your remote web server as your host has the expertise to configure these things for you.

Make your changes to the files locally and then upload to view them in a live environment.

It will make things a lot less frustrating and will allow you to concentrate on getting your site up and running and populated with products and content.

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

bmw000
VP-CART New User

137 Posts

Posted - January 01 2007 :  19:00:08  Show Profile  Visit bmw000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you have thousands of products and a lot of concurrent connections, then MS SQL or MySQL is the way to go.

For initial set-up, I recommend using the access database. Make sure the database is in a directory NOT accessible to the world for download.

Once you are up and running and get more established, then I do recommend to convert to MS SQL.

VP-ASP offers a free conversion utility.

Brian Weber
Variety Solutions, LLC
http://www.varietysolutions.com
Go to Top of Page

elammers
VP-CART Super User

USA
256 Posts

Posted - January 01 2007 :  19:35:20  Show Profile  Visit elammers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I upload my dev sites to a subfolder on my business web site because then I'm that much closer to mimicking the sites ultimate setup. Whereas, if I setup a local web server and run it there, then one of the big the unknowns is: do I have all the same backend hosting software as the web host? In the end, it's personal preference and how you like to test.

For instance, you're biggest battle in this post has been database permissions. I don't have that problem with any web host I've ever used. I use their admin console to enable an Access database which usually sets up a specific directory for an Access db. I just upload the sample db to that dir with a new name and set the shop$config.asp to point to that dir or use the DSN. Then diag_dbtest.asp to tell me if it's working -- quick and painless.

Hope everyone's replies have helped.

Regards,

Eric in Maine
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00