Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Little symbols in browser address bar
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - December 20 2006 :  07:58:41  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know where one would enter information that will put your own custom symbol to the left of your website addresses as I see in my IE7 browser address bar now on many sites?

Thanks,
Chris

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - December 20 2006 :  10:09:04  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
that's the "favicon" - I think it varies from host to host as to how you set it up, but usually if you put a file called favicon.ico on your main browsable directory then the browser will pick it up.

If you do a search for "favicon" on google, you'll probably find all the links for how to create/use them.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on December 20 2006 10:09:43
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - December 20 2006 :  14:00:45  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great, thanks for the help!

Chris
Go to Top of Page

elammers
VP-CART Super User

USA
256 Posts

Posted - December 20 2006 :  18:41:32  Show Profile  Visit elammers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's a super helpful site for creating favicon's.

http://www.chami.com/html-kit/services/favicon/

Start with your logo or a similar simple graphic and just upload it, and in just a few moments this site will create the proper graphic for download along with the 1 line of code to add to your site. Super easy.

If you're a developer, bookmark this site.

Regards,

Eric in Maine
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - December 23 2006 :  16:58:53  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the great link! I have a question you may be able to answer. I've vreated the favicon.ico file and uploaded it into my main folder with all the pages to my site. It seems like in a few days it should get picked up by browsers, but I also notice the code that can be entered into the HEAD section of my site. Being a newbie here, I don't know what file holds the HEAD info on all my pages and can't seem to find the asnwer easily.

Can anyone look at my webpage and tell me what page holds the HEAD code of any page on my site, as they all have the same main section at the top of every page?

www.redco.com

Thanks,
Chris
Go to Top of Page

elammers
VP-CART Super User

USA
256 Posts

Posted - December 24 2006 :  19:59:34  Show Profile  Visit elammers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
SHOPPAGE_HEADER.HTM

That file and SHOPPAGE_TRAILER.HTM are the 2 primary files that you can use to control overall layout and head stuff on every page.

Regards,

Eric in Maine
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - December 26 2006 :  14:32:49  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Many thanks!

Chris
Go to Top of Page

extremeskillz
VP-CART New User

USA
94 Posts

Posted - February 14 2007 :  19:31:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How come I try it and it does not work. I followd the directions and I still get no results.

Go to Top of Page

elammers
VP-CART Super User

USA
256 Posts

Posted - February 15 2007 :  07:29:30  Show Profile  Visit elammers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just to be perfectly clear, you placed this exact line of code in your HEAD section of the SHOPPAGE_HEADER.HTM file, right? And you placed the FAVICON.ICO file in the same directory?

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" >

If so, then what browser are you testing with? No matter which one, try clearing all your cache and restarting your browser and finally loading the site again then doing the CTRL + F5 to fully refresh.

My experience, see the results quite quickly with Firefox. IE is tempermental in showing it.

Regards,

Eric in Maine
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - February 17 2007 :  17:23:27  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it's working for me when I visit your site; it might just be due to your browser cache/history, or maybe your isp's cache; try clearing your cache/files on your browser, then visiting your site again and doing a ctl+f5 (instead of just f5) to force a server-refresh.
often the stylesheet/javascript/favico stuff doesn't do a proper refresh even if you clear your cache and do an f5; a ctl+f5 will force it. (but then again, that's basically just a copy of what elammers said)

elammers' post is also very true I think; internet explorer is much more intermittent about if/when it picks up the new icon, whereas netscape/firefox etc seems to pick it up better. (netscape/firefox will also show you proper errors, whereas internet explorer usually just gives you a meaningless "can not display page" error which make things impossible to debug)

I think it's something that you can setup on the host's control panel sometimes (depending on the host) as a kind of fall-through if the link doesn't work, but I'm not sure what it is that the host's control panel physically does on the server/domain/site when you set the option.

we use this in our header:

<LINK rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">

you could try that and see if it behaves better

I don't know why:
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" >

doesn't seem to always work properly sometimes; we had some contracted-in designers who did our site's html/graphics, so as they're experts in that kind of area I assume that the "image/x-icon" thing that they did was done for a reason, but that's just a guess.

Sometimes there are things which aren't "correct" html according to the w3c rules but where the "incorrect" html is the only way to actually get it to work (see http://validator.w3.org/) - google doesn't like sites that have too many of those errors, but a lot of "errors" are things that need to be in place because without them things simply wouldn't display/work properly in the real world.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on February 17 2007 18:03:37
Go to Top of Page

extremeskillz
VP-CART New User

USA
94 Posts

Posted - February 18 2007 :  10:23:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hear ya. So you said when you pulled my site up it worked properly. thats odd. Im going to use the w3c validator to fix the errors and try it again. I host my domain and services from the server. Im going to play around with it a little more to see if i get any results. thank for some insite.
Go to Top of Page

extremeskillz
VP-CART New User

USA
94 Posts

Posted - February 18 2007 :  10:43:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, other ppls website work in my browser that have the favicon in them. thats just weird. o well just wanted to let you know.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00