Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Customizing the homepage
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chrisyudesign
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - December 01 2006 :  11:50:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,
my client would like to be able to add large customized graphics and text to the home page to advertise a given monthly promotion. Is this possible? I looked through the VPASP manual but no help there.

Thanks!

elammers
VP-CART Super User

USA
256 Posts

Posted - December 01 2006 :  14:28:46  Show Profile  Visit elammers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just a quick thought solution.

Set up a content page as a home page. Then create a small DEFAULT.HTM page that redirects to your content home page in zero seconds.

Obviously there would be no other index or default pages.

Alternatively, I seem to remember Big Yellow Zone working on something where you can use the content system to plug in just bits of data on a page instead of the whole page being generated by the content system. I bet Simon will chime in

Regards,

Eric in Maine
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - December 02 2006 :  03:53:09  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

yes; we've got a few tools which might be helpful here, the thing that elammers is talking about is our "content management enhancements" addon. That's got 2 main features:

1) You can press a button on your admin edit-content page to create a physical file which holds the content from that record
example:
you're editing your "aboutus" content record in admin, and while viewing that record in admin you can type "aboutus.asp" into one of the fields and then press a [create file] link which will then create a physical file called "aboutus.asp" which you can then link to via your header/trailer etc. The file that it creates is dynamic at load-time rather than at generation time, so even though you've generated a "static" file it'll still get the text dynamically from the relevant contents record (ie you don't need to re-create the file each time you change the text)

2) You can call new show-content-text functions in any part of your header/trailer or other pages to show a content-record's text anywhere you like. In this instance, you could create a "home" contents-record to display the extra bits that you're afer, and then change your default.asp file to call the byz content-management-show-record function for "home" in the relevant bit of your default.asp file.
Or, you could create, say, one record for "hometop" and one for "homebottom" and then call the relevant ones in the relevant places on default.asp (ie you can have more than one call to the show-content function in a given page/panel/file).

The link for that is:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=125

Other tools which might be relevant to your question but which aren't specifically related to the show-content-chunk aspect are:

1) Product Showcase:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=105

2) Panel Splitter:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=26

100's of other addons, but I don't want to flood the forum with irrelevant links, so feel free to have a look around the site and ask if you have any "have you got anything that does this...?" questions etc.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on December 02 2006 04:08:47
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000